I'm fat, you know it.

Ah Klaatu, you come back to my original point. And no, you can’t find such a thread where I castigated someone for picking on the fat (or at least the famous fat, but I’m pretty sure I mean all fat.) No, I don’t see the point of going on about it, but when I or someone I love makes fun of Rush Limbaugh (or Orson Welles), I expect at least a passing reference to his girth.

Q: What’s the difference between Rush Limbaugh and the Hindenburg?

A: One’s a flaming Nazi gasbag, the other is a dirigible.

So, Klaatu, I’ll send you a buck if you can use the search function and find where I castigated someone for picking on the obese.

Rush Limbaugh really lost a lot of weight. Have you seen him recently?

Can I rub your belly for luck? :smiley:

If you’re porky and you know it clap your hands.
<clap clap>
If you’re porky and you know it clap your hands.
<clap clap>
If you’re porky and you know it and you really wanna show it,
If you’re porky and you know it…sit on Klaatu!

<muffled screams>

Actually, as far as I’ve noticed, it’s more often been people who think that fat=ugly, and that’s a FACT, and who absolutely have to make that known to everyone, everywhere, who’ve been verbally castrated. This is a lighthearted thread; people are flirting and cracking jokes with each other. In the others, they’ve been people making a POINT about how FAT PEOPLE ARE DISGUSTING, and who could not possibly think that not everyone believes that.

Two entirely different worlds, Thinks I.

“…many of the posters making light about being overweight are the same people who fucking vehemently castigate anyone who starts a thread about obesity or fat people.”

I don’t see the name DPWhite here. Merely “many.”

I’m not a particular fan of either castigating or lauding anyone for their weight or lack thereof, but I have to agree that there are many in this thread who would not, as DPWhite would, pass the Klaatu Challenge.

“This is a lighthearted thread; people are flirting and cracking jokes with each other. In the others, they’ve been people making a POINT about how FAT PEOPLE ARE DISGUSTING, and who could not possibly think that not everyone believes that.”

Well, for one thing, when a Pit thread is started about any personal appearance-type topic, everyone remembers how ugly they got, but not how they got that way. I was beat down on for agreeing that morbidly obese people were not attractive…even though I explained that by definition, “morbidly obese” means that the person’s LIFE is threatened by his or her obesity, and I don’t find suicide - intentional or accidental or health-related - an attractive trait.

If this thread is for nothing but back-patting, flirting, and joking around, I question its existence in the Pit, since that is usually MPSIMS material. By putting this thread in the Pit, one has to infer that the OP expected unpleasantness in the thread itself.

I’m not quite sure what you’re trying to point out, Hama, but my basic point was that in the threads that Klaatu is talking about (at least as far as I know, I may have missed some things), the point of the OP was to attack fat people for being fat. That set the tone of the thread; it was an attack. This thread is not, so the same people don’t feel they need to defend themselves.
It’s the difference between having people yell insults at you on the street, and joking around with chums about the same thing you were being insulted for. It’s an entirely different thing.

Fuck,

There, now this is pit worthy. Mnementh, not sure if you meant my thread, I mentioned weight re eating too many donuts…my cowroker didn’t need that many.

Re obese to the point your health is severly threatned, I’m with hama on this one as this gentleman is morbidly obese…I’m guessing 5’10 and 350-400. So, yeah, if I were looking for a mate or a fling I don’t think it would be with him. But that sure wasn’t my point at least.

I don’t take issue with the op, thought it was funny. But some of y’all really should take a look at your attitude and how it changes with the wind re this issue.

I have had my say, I am now returning you to your regularly scheduled topic.

BBJ

Put me on that Fat list. /sigh
Doing something about it though. Not that I find anything wrong with it in others, just finding it to be not such a good thing on me. I don’t like the feeling of my gut haning over my belt.

Okeedokee, Klaatu, I’ll bite. Let’s see the links. Hama can help too, I’m sure.

See, “hypocrite” is a pretty nasty thing to call someone without evidence. I don’t doubt that you can provide some–I just want to see them.

Way to turn a fun thread into another yet fat debate. :rolleyes:

I’d like to see those cites, too.

I will always remember seeing the world premiere of that video on MTV.

Bless their musical hearts, MTV had the brilliant sense to play Michael Jackson’s “Bad” video right before the premiere of Al’s “Fat” video. Needless to say, you could really appreciate how closely Al parodied the original’s camera angles, shots, and dancing moves.

<holds up word balloon>
WOO!

Now let me figure this out:

1. Someone starts a thread lambasting fat people for being fat, saying “Fat IS Ugly” among other things.

2. Most people (myself included, thank you very much) respond that just because YOU think fat = ugly, doesn’t mean the entire world agrees. I recall arguing that we should just live and let live.

3. If I then celebrate the fact that I’m rotund, I am a hypocrite, even though I argued that fat does not necessarily equal ugly and here I am commenting on the fact that fat does not equal ugly IMO.

No, that doesn’t make any sense to me.