I'm Going Nuts Because I Can't Get This Book

For months now, I’ve waited to get a copy of Alison Plowden’s new biography of Lady Jane Grey.

It seems that the publisher must have grossly underestimated the demand for this title, because I can’t seem to locate a copy. My local bookstore tried to order it for me, but their supplier is out of stock. Amazon.com is out of stock. Barnes and Noble is out of stock. And so on.

I’ve seen a couple of retailers online who claim to have it, but I’ve never purchased from them before, and don’t know which are trustworthy. (By which I mean that they really do have it in stock, and I’m not going to be dissapointed again.)

I’ve looked forward to this book since long before it was published. For such a fascinating and tragic figure in Tudor history, books about her are as rare as hen’s teeth, so I was very excited to hear about this one. After my third attempt at ordering ended in dissapointement, I decided to turn to you guys.

Can anyone recommend a internet retailer that has it in stock (for real this time), that you’ve used, and know to be trustworthy and prompt?

Try the Publisher?

I don’t know where you are, I assume you’re in the States, don’t know if that’ll be a problem or not.

I searched on BookFinder and it appears to be an instant collectible. I’m sure the places that are selling it mint used have it and are just jacking up the price because it is so hard to find.

I’ve never had a problem ordering through a BookFinder site. But you’re much better off buying the cheaper used copy through the Amazon page. Never had a problem there either.

Well, copies seem to be available through [URL=http://www.abebooks.com]abebooks.comURL].

I have not used this service personally, but have read good things about it.

I had trouble with one of the bookstores associated with abebooks, but that company itself was courteous and refunded my money promptly.

Wow, couldn’t have coded that much worse, but I thing you can figue out what I’m trying to say.

The first Amazon reader review says that it’s Catherine Parr on the cover. Is that true? If so, it wouldn’t say much for the scholarship involved, would it?

It’s probably a joke.

I don’t have the but I do love the Tudor period. Have you seen the 1990’s movie Lady Jane ? It’s not historically accurate but it IS lots of fun.

If that painting is of Catherine Parr, it’s the first time I’ve ever seen it. I have a lot of books about the Tudors, and no author that I’ve read has ever used it as an illustration of her.

It really wouldn’t bother me too much even if it is. A lot of portraits from that era are only tentatively identified. Only recently, one portrait in a British museum which was assumed to be of Jane (not the one shown on the cover) was re-labled to identify the subject as Parr. Perhaps the reviewer thought the painting on the cover was the one which had been re-identified.

Amethyst Autumn, I have seen the mopvie you’re talking about. I wish that it were a true depiction. I’d like to think poor Jane had at least a few moments of happiness in her short, sad life.

That link on amazon.com shows they have two for sale:
Availability: Usually ships within 1-2 business days
2 used & new from $15.88

A used one sold on ebay for $32.xx

Try the UK site:

It will cost about $25 with post and packing to send to the States.

The price at amazon.co.uk is £13.29. When I ordered a book from them two years ago, the cheapest shipping option was £4.95. At the current exchange rate of $1.67, I would expect the total price to be close to $30.50, unless shipping is a lot cheaper than it was 2 years ago. Then your credit card issuer will charge you 1% to 3% on top of that for the currency exchange. I had no real problem ordering through amazon.co.uk, but the book I ordered did take close to a month to arrive. Then again it was a pretty obscure title.

Of course, you can also try your local library. And if they don’t have it, they could probably inter-library loan it from another library in the country (or world) for you.