I'm going straight to hell.

Just when you thought doing that dance to “YMCA” was lame - maybe this will spark a revival (What Would Jesus Dance?).

It’s going to be a Dopefest in Hell

:eek: I think with us there we can take them. Heaven, Hell, God’s footstool…

I have a handbasket that might fit a few more, get back to me.

Maureen, thank you, that was beautiful.

I have a new desktop background! Thanks,** Maureen**!

When my church put on a Passion Play, I’m told that before the service/performance cries of “Disciples on the left, Village People on the Right” could be heard in the Narthex. (As a good little choir member, I wore basic black and stayed out of sight.)

Cracked me up but good. I even sent it to my mom - I think she’ll have a sense of humor about it.

You do get the message formed by the arms of the three live ones, don’t you" M, C, & A, tho’ I didn’t get it until I read the caption.

(And I don’t see the humor)

I’m hoping to go to Valhalla, but if that doesn’t work, I’ll meet y’all down yonder. I’ll be the long haired guy charging the gates with a bucket of ice water…

Aren’t we running out of room on this bullet train yet?

No? Cool, move over there, I’d like to sit down.

Roasted peanuts, anyone?

Equally funny was one of the comments: “Who’s the guy in the painting?”

If I were single, that would be my Xmas card.

That is so funny.

One ticket, Doper Class. I’ll bring the chips.

Soon, we’ll have enough to charter a plane. Always nice to go places with friends. :smiley:

GT

I want to make a poster out of that!

Is the rumble seat available?

Classic. I’ll take an aisle seat and bring the guacamole.

Yeah, I know it’s YMCA, and yeah, I know it’s the Village People and not the folks with the gyms and the youth programs etc, and yeah I know it’s about being gay and getting some in the YMCA youth hostels or whatever they called them, I’m not totally immune to memes :wink:

I didn’t know folks danced to it by making letters of themselves back when the song was popular, if there’s anything I’m oblivious to it’s pop dances…

Now, about the humor/funny part…

Is it Jesus-as-participant with coming-out-gay celebratory YMCA-ish dancing that’s funny? :confused:

I’m not a christian and the dude lived 2000 +/- years ago so it’s a little hard to be confident about his mindset, but I kind of think at a minimum he would bust the chops of folks hostile and obnoxious to gayfolk, and tell heteros to clean up heterosexuality before pointing any condemning fingers at gays & lesbies. I dunno if he would dance or like disco, but what the hey? For all I know the dude had boyfriends. Sex was pretty roped off in those days by tradition and whatnot (cue: Fiddler on the Roof music) but they were breaking from tradition and thinking independently, so who knows? It’s as reasonable as the musings about him and Mary Mag, I reckon.

I’m just humor-impaired, right?

Nahh, it probably has to hit you just right. I found it hilarious - everyone will have a different point of view, I’m sure, but I didn’t find any “gay” undertones that made it funny. To me, it was just the contrast of this very serious painting of a (rather famous and still wildly popular) dead guy hanging on a cross in a museum (I’m assuming), and these goofballs see him as a “Y” and think - AHA! Let us dance in the manner of “YMCA”.

But I’m fond of silliness, and so that’s what I saw. I didn’t see it as offensive towards any group of people. I would even send this to my mother, a devout Catholic, and think she’d get a giggle out of it. She’d try to suppress it, and might give me the mildest of scoldings, but she’d giggle. :smiley:

Gaaaahhh…

If you were not in the US I might understand, but you’re not only in the US but in NYC (Manhattan). OK, that actually makes it fairly likely you didn’t grow up around here, but if you’ve been to enough weddings, Sweet 16s or Bar Mitzvahs (where “enough” is probably a sample size of three, if not one) you must surely have been exposed to the DJ who, even against all stated wishes of the hosts, puts on this damn song and leads the people in doing the hands-in-the-air thing.

And for a looong while (maybe they’ve stopped by now) the grounds crew at Yankee Stadium did the YMCA (arms and all) during the 7th inning stretch.

And my 7-year-old daughter has not once but twice in her short life so far had to learn to do the dance for a school performance. Since even 5 year olds can do the moves. It’s this or the “Chicken Dance”.

So I find it truly boggling that you were familiar with the song but not the dance. I’ve hardly ever seen the two not together! I mean, it’s not like it gets much radio play… The only time I hear this song is when some schmuck is trying to get everyone to do the dance!

BTW, if you’re in the market for sacreligious Jesus humor, or just want to lock in the discount rate for that first class seat to Hell, the Urban Outfitters clothing chain is carrying a bunch of stuff along the lines of an Answer Me Jesus shake-up plastic thingamabob (think “Magic 8 Ball” but shaped like Jesus); and a Jesus with Rubber Duckie bath toy; and had for a while a now-yanked Jesus Dress Up game with magnetic cling “outfits” to put over the image of a crucified Jesus.

On a side note I recently heard a man object to a portrayal of Jesus on a T-Shirt (as worn by a hipster-type passer-by walking in the opposite direction) that was evocative of a Stalinist poster (a red t-shirt with a white silhouette of a thorny-crowned Jesus and other stylistic cues) by saying to his wife, “Jesus must be spinning in his grave”. For some reason it took me a couple of seconds of puzzlement before I realized why this statement was so ironic :slight_smile:

I don’t think it has anything to do with homosexuality, at least that’s not how I see it. It’s funny because it’s irreverant (in a good-natured way). He’s being crucified but it looks like he’s doing the YMCA dance with them.

Weddings: two, ever. One ecumenical, Haitian Catholic gal marrying a NY Jewish fellow; the other my sister’s first marriage in a liberal protestant church . Absolutely positively zero post-wedding dances. I learned about the Hokey Pokey as opposed to “You put your left foot in you put your left foot out” only on the Straight Dope.

Sweet 16: what’s that? Is that kind of like a gringo Quinten-whatchamacallit? Never been to any such thing.

Bar Mitzvah: I’ve heard of them, I can give the definition thereof…15 and Jewish and male, right?