I'm going to be needing some Visual Basic help

Ok, the best way I can explain it is that I’m working with 3 different loan programs that each have their own guidelines. For each program we have a base interest rate and then a whole page of variables (credit score, loan-to-value ratio, documentation type…etc) that add or subtract points from the initial rate.

The reason we’re making the calculator is so we can put all this info in, hit “calculate” and have our rate in a few seconds rather than adding it all up by hand.

Does that make a little bit more sense? I can answer any other questions you guys have, I really appreciate the help :).

P.S. As an afterthought, I’m not sure if it was clear that we want all these variables in combo boxes. We want to input a few numbers, select the variables out of the combo boxes, and hit calculate to get our rate. I can show the interface to anyone who wants to see it if that would help.

Not to derail this project - but it sounds like this might be better suited as an Excel spreadsheet? You could set it up the formula for the cells and if a cell value changes it would recalculate the mortgage rate.

As for the question at hand - I think I’m understanding now - the:

FICO Score >= 700 -.375 Rate

line means that if the FICO score value is greater than or equal to 700 then subtract .375 from the final rate? I assume all of the data works like this?

A table would really lend itself well to the storage of parameters for each mortgage plan; you can very easily link an access database into VB, but to do so for a single table might be considered wasteful - there are other data structures that hold their tables as discrete files which could just as easily be linked in(Access stores ‘the database’ as one big file, containing tables, queries, forms etc.).

If the end user has Access installed though, I’d consider creating it as a pure Access application - programming the VBA form/code side of Access is closely similar to pure ‘VB proper’.

Correct.

Do any of you have messenging programs we can talk on? AIM is my preference but I can log on whatever you’re using.

QED - the yahoo id in your profile doesn’t work.

Is anyone still willing or able to give me a hand with this?

It should. I just checked it again, and it is correct. What’s it say when you try to add me in? Also, when you do, mention the SDMB or you’ll get denied.