I'm looking for as good definition for the word "co-opt"

Hi,

I’m looking for as good definition for the word “co-opt”.
I look forward to your feedback.
davidmich

To appropriate.

what about co-opting a person for a particular purpose? I’m not sure if it’s meant in the sense of voluntarily or in voluntarily/without the person’s knowledge.

Did you mean ‘definition’ or ‘synonym’?

I don’t think there’s a precise synonym, You can try (as Jragon said) ‘appropriate’; or use ‘ally’ or appoint’, but none of them have the full meaning of ‘bringing someone in to help’.

I’m looking for a definition if possible.

co-opt = adopted the same abstract thing as some other group or person. If you can’t beat 'em, join 'em. If you can’t join 'em, copy 'em.

Here’s a wildly loaded example that probably isn’t GQ material, but that’s kind of where you have to go to demonstrate this:- "By portraying themselves as persecuted victims, conservatives are co-opting a strategy that they see as being instrumental to the success of liberals.

What’s wrong with using the dictionary?

Whether it is voluntary or involuntary depends on context.

It can easily be either of those -

1. To elect as a fellow member of a group.
  2. To appoint summarily.
  3. To take or assume for one’s own use; appropriate: co-opted the criticism by embracing it.
  4. To neutralize or win over (an independent minority, for example) through assimilation into an established group or culture: co-opt rebels by giving them positions of authority.

Context should determine if the co-opting is assumed or imposed, voluntary or involuntary.