I'm more than just a brain, I have a sexy body too! Doper endurance athletes.

Now if you had carried a tuba then you’d have something.

Yeah, I know. It’s like running a marathon, and thinking that for once in your life you’re a badass … and then you hear about the guy who did the same thing, running backwards in a chicken suit.

Damn Tuba Guy! (Shakes fist impotently.)

Was that your thread I saw about Half Dome not too long ago? It looks like more of a climb! Maybe not a big deal for many, but there are probably more who can’t manage it than can.

I think that would count. So that averages out of something over 10 miles a day…carrying a load and factoring in elevation change.

One motivation for starting this thread was to see how people who do somewhat extraordinary things view their physical gifts. You say you aren’t gifted, but I contend that you probably are somewhat and just feel normal because you’re you.

Of course as your an Valgard point out, much of what factors in to completing an ultra-somethiing is mental.

How did you work up to 100k?

Well, for what I did, it was all pretty much all mental. I did an Appalachian Trail thru-hike, and probably 80% of all Americans could do it, physically. You just have to start slow and work your way into it; I weighed 262 at the beginning, and averaged 6-7 miles a day for the first month, about 15-20 by the end. The most important parts of getting ready was buying equipment and learning how to use it, and knowing what to expect.

Something like a 100k run or the Pemi Loop, or even just a marathon, on the other hand, could can literally kill an out of shape person (Assuming you’re somehow forcing the person to complete them in anything near like the timeframe competitive people do).

What’s so impressive to me about stuff like 100 mile runs and what not just the event itself, but the amazing amount of effort that goes into just preparing.

Not to put too fine a point on it but I ran a lot. Early on I realized that I’m not very speedy but I could keep adding distance. Like many runners I’d do shorter runs during the week (started with around 30 minutes, worked up to 90 minutes or thereabouts) and a long weekend run, gradually adding more and more miles to the long run. The long runs got up into the 20+ mile range and I was able to do those pretty consistently every weekend. Then I decided to try some particular distances (26 miles, then a bit over 50K, then did 40 miles on my 40th birthday with a couple of ultramarathon runners I knew), registered for my first ever race, a 50 mile run. Learned a few things from that, qualified for but did not make the drawing for the WS100 mile run so my “backup” plan was the Miwok 100K.

My long runs were all trail runs, plenty of hills and so on. During my last few months before the 100K it rained like crazy many of those weekends so I’d be doing 20-25 miles in a downpour, through mud, hills, etc. I enjoyed that and figured that I’d either be well prepared to go long distances in miserable weather or the weather would cooperate and whatever it was, it’d be easier than what I trained in. That’s what happened, nice weather the whole time. Mentally that helps a lot - I knew that I could cheerily run a long way in foul conditions.

I also rode my bike a lot and worked out regularly. An overall strong body is important, not just legs but core and upper body and plenty of “non-running-specific” muscles, I think it helps stability and so forth.

The mental part is harder to train, you just have to stay very positive, make notes of what works and what doesn’t, think about how you cope with feeling tired/sore/grouchy.

That’s what worked for me; I didn’t follow a “plan” of any kind, I just enjoyed pushing myself more and more. Other people like something more structured - my wife, for example, does lots of marathons and ran a 50 miler, she followed some published training programs. I’ve got her “How to run your first 50 miler” plan at home someplace. Honestly I think it’s similar to what I did only it follows a calendar. Lots of running, long slow distance runs, long hikes (to get you used to the time on your feet), cross training/strength training.

Completed a 10-mile trail race yesterday. Sucker was hard…2x harder than the road 1/2 I did in the spring.

Still, I felt good enough that I’m signing up for the 20-mile version in February. And we’ll work our way up from there and see what happens.

Congrats on the 10 Mile and good luck in the 20!! The trail races are definitely harder, but thats part of the fun!

I’m super nervous about my 50 mile in September, but i feel good about the work i’ve been putting in. I’m at a point now where the weekend long run is almost an afterthought… I can remember training for my first marathon when that weekend run would wreck the whole day, but now, its almost like no big deal, just need to get it out of the way and get on with the rest of the day! Its a great feeling!

What does being an endurance athlete have to do with having a sexy body?

Pfft. Here’s how you run an ultramarathon.

Step 1: You start running.

There is no step 2.

That may be how you run an ultramarathon. But I simplify the process by skipping that first step.

It’s very nice to not be worthless the rest of the day after a ‘long’ run, though those are only 14 or so miles for me right now.

How long are you long runs in preparation for a 50 mile? Both time and distance wise? I’m so busy right now that I’m worried about even having time to work up to marathon distance.

In case I’m not being whooshed, it’s a riff on ‘I’m not just a body, I have a brain too!’

Actually, while runners do tend to have sexier bodies one thing I was kind of surprised by when I started doing organized runs is that some very good runners are not ‘built’ like runners.

In terms of distance i have worked up to doing 20+ pretty much every weekend. I actually had a streak of doing 20+ five weeks in a row, untill last week when i only ran a 19.5, but got back on the horse this weekend with about a 26 mile run. I’ve even done back-to-backs (20+ on saturday, then again on sunday) twice. Now, believe me, before this year i had never done anything like this, i probably never even thought about running a 20+ run in consecutives weeks before this, and its almost shocking how good i feel! I am really enjoying this training!

The runs are not fast, which i am fine with as the race pace won’t be fast (because of the distance, and the difficult terrain). If i’m going to run 20, its probably gonna take around 3:30. my 26 this past weekend we got rained on and had some pretty slow going through some muddy spots i was out there for close to 4:30… but i started at 5am so still felt like i had the whole day ahead by the time we were done.

Anyway, 6 weeks till race day! starting to get really excited!

Superior Fall Trail Races

So your first step is a really, really long one? Bring on the seven-league boots!

And, officially registered for 20 miles on Feb. 9! The big bear looming right now though is 25k at the end of September.

Yesterday, had a nice 3-hour run. Not sure how far I went since I don’t have a Garmin, but the first 2:15 was a pretty steady pace; only stopped for a fast walk a couple times when I scarfed some gummys, and to snap a couple of pictures of the trail with my phone. Last hour, well, I didn’t bring enough fuel with me and didn’t run any hills on the way back to the car. So I guess it’s not accurate to call it a 3-hour run, but my ass was out there for 3 hours…Still, I finished with no cramps or pain, just a nice feeling in my legs that it was a good workout.

My ass was DONE for the rest of the day, though. :dubious:

Since another thread had a bunch of folks talking about ultramarathon goals for the upcoming year we should revive this thread.

I’m turning 50 next October so I decided I want to run a 50K before my birthday. I had planned on running one this fall but it didn’t work out due to schedule and injury but I stil have the goal. So my plan is to train as much as I can over the winter during ski season and plan a 25K race in April and my 50K at the end of May (Pinelands in Maine). I can run during the week, especially at lunchtime from work, usually a 4-6 mile loop. Not sure when I can do longer runs during the week due to daylight and skiing on the weekends.

What are folks’ training plan for the winter?

Interesting to read my last post from August…I can do 3-4 hilly hours now and carry on with my day pretty much as normal. I guess that’s why I should keep a log…more concrete proof that I’m progressing!

20-mile race is still on the table for Feb. In fact, on Saturday I am doing a 10-mile race on the same course (one loop vs. two).

I haven’t been able to train as much as I’d like due to other commitments, but I look at the bright side and assume that’s saved me from any overuse injuries.

One thing that I have discovered is that fueling has become HUGE. I simply can’t maintain for more than 2 hours unless I’m sure to eat. I think it’s almost as large a factor as raw conditioning.

I didn’t run with a headlamp last winter, but I started to now and running trails in the dark with a little pool of light in front is awesome! I’m also going to get a membership to Planet Fitness so I can hit their stair climbers and similar machines too, when it gets too snowy. I’ve seen some articles on snowshoes and it seems like a great workout, but I don’t know that we get enough snow here to make them worth it.

I’ve heard that rowing (machine) is a good full-body exercise, too. Anyone utilize that in their workout routine?

I’m training for a half and did my first 11 miler on Sunday. My run log entry was one word: “awful”. Yesterday I bought a water bottle belt and some gel packs to work my through and see what flavor and brand I like best. Any advice on fueling? I was able to make it through 9 miles with no water (none available on my trails) and was going to ask here about hydration, but it looks like I answered that question the hard way.

I’m with you on the headlamp. That’s fun and it helped me avoid the snake laying on the trail warming himself!

I have a Nathan belt, a small Camelback pack, and a handheld waterbottle. On the road I tend to use the belt, in the woods I use the Camelback, and I’m trying to figure out when I like the handheld bottle. For 10 miles I’d drink before start, drink a quart or so along the way (more if it’s hot), and probably have two Gu’s along the way.

I ran a half marathon while fat.

That’s my going-in plan for my next long run, thanks!