I'm pitiful. I just had a McD's double cheeseburger for lunch

The only saving grace is that it cost $1 US.

I’m feeling kinda broke this month. While I still spend my money wisely(on beer and wine), I watch what I eat. Until today. Hey! It was next to the beer store. What can I say? :slight_smile:

I’m one of those oldsters who remembers what a Big Mac tasted like when it first came out. They don’t taste like that anymore. I used to eat their fries, when cooked in beef tallow(or whatever it was). Now I dont. At least they(finally) made their coffee acceptable.

That is all.

The McDonald’s double cheeseburger is great. It’s cheap and filling.

I have 2 most weekdays. Thank you samclem for giving others the courage to admit it.

I’m a big fan of McDonalds Snack Wraps. Apparently they don’t sell them everywhere, but here in the Carson City/Lake Tahoe/Reno/Sparks area, they sell like hotcakes. And the price is right - $1.25 for a somewhat healthy snack.

Before they came out with those, though, I LIVED on double cheeseburgers (hold the pickles, please). Does anyone remember when they were doing that 29 cent hamburger Wednesdays and 39 cent cheeseburger Sundays? We ate off of McDonalds all week from those promotions.

~Tasha

I’m glad I’m not the only one to notice how the Big Mac has lost…something. It seems to have some flavor missing these days, and it used to be my favorite, cheap and bad-for-me indulgence.

I always wonder about this phrase. Do hotcakes really sell that well? I don’t think I’ve ever bought a hotcake. I always make my own.

I bought a Big Mac today for the first time in ages, and it wasn’t the same. Something wasn’t right about it. And there was too much “special sauce” so it kept slithering apart in my hands.

Oh well, they’re not good for me anyway.

Almost certainly a US expression, going back to at least the early 1800’s.

Yep.

Two years ago i had a sausage biscuit every morning while waiting for the bus and i think i sort of developed an addiction to McDonald’s food.

Now i only eat McDonald’s food when i’m depressed. I don’t even like the stuff! But when i’m feeling down enough to not even want to fix anything to eat, i’ll go out and get a double cheeseburger and fries.

Double cheeseburger with only mustard and onions, otherwise knows as ‘My Usual.’ Wonderful when fresh and hot.

I like Big Macs. I only have them every few months, so however bad they are for me is hopefully negated by my not having them more frequently. I can’t remember when I’ve had anything else on their menu. Maybe a Filet-O-Fish, in the '70s or something.

Now that you mention it, they do seem to taste a bit different than I remember, but there really isn’t an alternative. Oh, and you have to eat them hot off the grill, when they taste the best, not after you get home and they’ve cooled off. Then they’re nasty and gross. Heating them up in the microwave just ruins them.

I’ve never in my life had a McDonald’s hamburger. I take a certain pride in this fact, but I also wonder if I’m missing anyting. Surely, just one wouldn’t hurt…?

Nah. :smiley:

Really, I think the double cheeseburger is the only thing worth eating on the McDonald’s menu. It tastes least bad when not at its peak. When fresh, they’re pretty good. I used to grab two regular cheesburgers, but the double has less carbs.

From The Phrase Finder

SELL LIKE HOT CAKES - “Hot cakes cooked in bear grease or pork lard were popular from earliest times in American. First made of cornmeal, the griddle cakes or pancakes were of course best when served piping hot and were often sold at church benefits, fairs, and other functions. So popular were they that by the beginning of the 19th century ‘to sell like hot cakes’ was a familiar expression for anything that sold very quickly effortlessly, and in quantity.” From “Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins” by Robert Hendrickson (Facts on File, New York, 1997)

It used to be the fries that always did it for me. Micky Dees always had the bestest fries anywhere, hands down. Now, they’re just like everyone else. :frowning:

I rarely do fast food burgers anymore. They have no taste. The meat tastes like the bun, the tomatos have an incredible NON taste, I hate pickles, and I mostly seem to taste the ketchup or special sauce. Bleah. When I do do fast food, I usually do taco and burrito type stuff. Not any better for me, I know, but at least I can taste things!

BTW, try Wendy’s fries and a Frosty. Only if the fries are fersh, tho, straight out of the fryer. Dip the almost too hot to hold fries into your too cold to drink/eat Frosty and let the incestual marraige of taboo tastes, textures, and temps give your mouth an orgasm. Trust me.

Yeah, a double cheeseburger once in a while is good. Last semester, I was taking two classes on Tuesday evenings, and ended up eating at McD’s almost every Tuesday on the way from the office to class. I mean, it was convenient, it was cheap, and as long as it was just a burger, it wasn’t even all that bad for me, health-wise (carrot sticks would have been better, of course, but we rationalize). Then it got bad. I mean, the 99-cent double cheeseburger was just a gateway junkfood that lead to a month-long addiction that really spun out of control. The first couple times it was just a double cheese burger off the dollar menu, and a bottle of water. Then I started getting the fries, too. Then I escalated to the Big Mac meal. Then a Big Mac meal with a 6-piece McNuggets. My God. I peaked right before Thanksgiving, and realized I had a problem, but by then I had an 8 dollar a week McDonald’s habit. Every Tuesday, like clockwork, there I was in McDonalds. I guess I realized I had hit rock bottom when I didn’t even go in to the “resteraunt” to eat. I just hit the drive-thru and ate that shit in my car on the side of the road. And I always had to have a couple breath mints afterwards because I was afraid someone would smell it on my breath. The the semester eneded, and it’s been 7 months since I’ve been to McDonald’s.

Fall semester starts next month, though.

I know what beef is. I know what tallow is. I’ve never seen them put together, and while beef is OK I don’t want any tallow anywhere near my fries.

I had a Bic Mac and fries last night. I shouldn’t. I’m trying to diet. I just lack the willpower to eschew this sort of stuff completely – especially when it’s right where I happen to be at the time. I don’t have it very often, but I have to admit, I like Big Macs, and I also like their regular hamburgers, too – they make a good, quick snack.

I used to like their apple pies. Once they changed the crust they became supremely vile.

However, I’m making up for it today. I’m currently having a nice caesar salad. With fat-free dressing. Screw your attempts to fatten me up, Ronald!

Back in the day, some coworkers and I were discussing which fast food restaurants had the best whatever. Since we were located close to all of the Big Three (McD’s, Burger King, and Wendy’s), we made a run and got the following:

Whopper from Bruger King

Fries from McDonald’s (back in the beef tallow days)

Frosty from Wendy’s

That, my fellow Dopers, was quintessential America, in all its grotesquely excessive glory.

You picked a BK burger over Wendy’s? For shame.

I would have picked a burger from Wendy’s, fries from McD’s (I don’t know what it is but they’ve always had the best damned fies, curse them) and … well, that’s it, really. (I don’t care for the Frosty – it’s an artificial-chocolate-flavouring-aversion thing – and BK doesn’t really offer anything further to the above meal)

I dunno, BK is flame broiled but still very fast food-tasting. Wendy’s tastes a lot more like ordinary ground beef with few(er) fillers, and I prefer that to pretty much any of the others. (In fast food that is)

Once you lose your gallbladder all this stuff equals a long and painful visit to the powder room. I like their Cobb Salad though. Sigh! I’m like an old lady.