Imus is outta work. Why was his insult so much worse than his usual stuff?

Today, CBS canned him, too. That’s fine by me. I don’t follow his work, but several sources have said he’s been playing the dirty-mouth jerk for years. What made this dissing of the college hoopsters more vile than his usual shtick? I’m guessing that college athletes are closely controlled, and therefore :dubious: :rolleyes: squeaky clean. What’s your take?

I’m not asking whether he should have been fired; it’s a done deal. This is about why this particular gaffe stood out.

I think part of the reason is because the group he insulted were not other famous celebrities or anything just random college basketball players and I think the climate has changed, directly attributable to the fallout from the Michael Richards incident.

How long before Sirius/XM nabs him, do you suspect?

I hope not. He’s such a bore. And what’s in it for Sirius/XM? He really doesn’t have a lot of actual listeners (check his ratings; he sucks). And I wouldn’t be surprised if they few listeners he does have already subscribe to one of the satellite providers; so there’d be no motivation to hire him. He’d only bring baggage.

I think it also has to do with the fact that so much advertising was pulled (likely due to the fact that many of these companies are now being run by black people). It’s obviously all about money, not any sort of moral stance (I suppose that would be a “duh”).

About a month- it would just depend how large an audience he would seem to bring with him. I watched him about every morning on MSNBC, mainly for his interviews. If he’d kept his radio show & had the same quality of guests, I’d have probably listened to it on the Net. But I won’t pay for it.

What was his 10-figure" salary?

I’ve heard this claim a lot, but I haven’t heard any actual examples of past Imus comments that were comparable to the ones that caused his current woes.

He made an out-of-the-blue attack on a specific couple of people whom he’d never met and who were more or less defenseless that was simultaniously misogynestic and racist. As pool said, making such attacks on celeberites or more general groups of people (even all female basketball players probably) wouldn’t have caused such an uproar (South Park does this all the time), but picking out a specific group of people like that on national radio who don’t have any forum to respond and haven’t done anything to even begin to deserve wasn’t really funny, it just made Imus look like a dick.

The comments were directed at innocents, at “good” girls who’s only crime was losing a game. We’re used to laughing at celebrities and politicians and people who get into the news for being criminal, stupid, and outrageous. But not normal people who are just minding their own business. I think even the jerkiest of us can appreciate who’s fair game and who isn’t.

I think a lot of people inserted their children or their wives for the Rutgers women’s basketball team. Personally, being black, female, and a Rutgers alum, I inserted myself. So for many people, it wasn’t that Imus was cracking on some nameless, faceless strangers. He was cracking on people that could easily be us (especially since the Rutgers girls turned out to be lovely and intelligent, not the rough girls Imus had portrayed them as).

I think using “nappy-headed” alone would have caused a bit of raucus, but nothing fire-worthy. Combining it with “hos” pushed the commentary flush with the edge. But if he had stopped there, I think the roar would be softer and possibly less justifiable. But throwing in “jigaboo” pushed things too far. It took away any doubt about the racist bent of the “joke”.

Unfortunately, I think the sexism in the commentary would have been met with less sympathy if it hadn’t been paired up with the racism. American ears are more desensitized to sexist language, and we’re used to shock jocks degrading women (Howard Stern, I’m looking at you). Also there is no woman Al Sharpton to take up the charge when sexism rears up in the media. So while there’s a double-whammy of offensiveness here, I think the racism really makes his comments special. People are simply fed up with racism being excused and allowed.

No cite because it was on the news, but they said he received $7 million in straight pay plus a percentage of syndication profits from radio and television versions that put it well beyond that. He owns a house on the same road as Marlo Thomas/Phil Donahue (the Donahues are selling their’s for $25 million, and while his isn’t as huge a lot [Phil/Marlo bought the houses on either side and demolished them to expand their property] it’s still way up there), a Manhattan luxury-high rise, and ranches in New Mexico and Montana. For his sake I hope he set himself up to support all those places, though if he didn’t I certainly have no sympathy.

Sorry for a hijack: I’m familiar with the guy from his appearance on talk shows and I’ve never listened to so much as a minute of his show that wasn’t shown in clips on talk shows. Would he qualify as a “shock jock” (if that term’s not outdated)?

It’s so odd to me how he and Limbaugh and Stern [even before the half-billion deal with Sirius) and other radio figures command such astronomical salaries- more than Letterman and Leno even- yet I know so few people who listen to them. Is radio a lot more lucrative than TV?

Here’s one man’s take.

Imus got exactly what he deserved, but why are the media spending so much time on this asshole? I’m up to here with Imus and his bigotry. But jeez!

Hardball opened on this story today and it is still going strong (7:16pm). Basta!! And after the break, they’re going to Rutgers for more hand wringing and gnashing of teeth.

I heard that Hillary is on her way to Rutgers, jusr as one would expect. Tearing Don a new one is a win win proposition for every Pol.

All this crap and the fuckhead will probably a better job on Satellite radio, and will probably make more dough than he ever did on land line.

On the bright side? Maybe MSNBC will start running news programs in Imus’s now vacant time slot.

Perhaps it was the proverbial straw and camel?

Check out the controversial comments link down article: http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/12/imus.rutgers/index.html

Y’know, this whole ruckus might have died down if it weren’t for all the other talk show hosts on radio and television saying, “They can’t fire him because CBS makes too much money off his show, and they’re in this business just for the money!” The pro-yakkers just wouldn’t shut up about how CBS didn’t have any choice in the matter.
You just don’t double-dog dare a billion dollar industry.

OK. He’s fired. According to this article,

My question is, where do Rush Limbaugh, G. Dubya, David Lynch, David Sedaris, Christopher Hithchens, Cormac McCarthy, Conan O’Brian, Ann Coulter, RedFury, Scylla, Tiger Woods, Zach Johnson, Cher, Bill Hicks, The Amazing Jonathon, and Bucky Pizarelli fit in the **Obama/Winfrey **spectrum?

He claims it was an attempt at humor. No it was not. It was just a nasty uncalled for remark. It was not sudden. He added to it after he started. It revealed who he really is. He is not a very nice or likable person. I am glad the sponsors bailed.

I am getting a little tired of the whole “who can express the most outrage” contest that has broken out. I heard one spokesman for some faction or another actually say this was “worse than the assassination of Dr. King” :rolleyes:

I think it has gone way overboard. Some people won’t be satisfied until kills himself.

I agree, ridiculous and pathetic.

It has made me realize that I detest “outrage” lobbyists trying to get corporations to fire folks they don’t like OTHER people listening to just as much as I detest those trying to employ the government in the same end. It’s not the same constitutional issue of free speech, but it is a similar somewhat pathetic impulse. Trying to seek retribution and punishment on someone who says something you don’t like is not an attitude that belongs in a robust democracy. If you don’t like someone or what they say or how they say it, don’t listen to them, and maybe actually go through the hard work of convincing others not to listen to him either. But to seek an end run by trying to get someone off the air so that others can’t make that choice, that’s just pathetic.

I detest Bill O’Reily. But the fact is, millions of people listen to him. If I’m going to fight against his ilk, then the hard way is the only way to go: trying to deny the reality that he has those millions of fans, and trying to get him off the air so that they cannot listen to him is just sour grapes.