In case you didn't check your calendar, this week sucks

Well this week is off to a fucking wonderful start.
On Monday morning, my wife calls, her dad died on Sunday. He had Parkinson’s and we knew it was only a matter of time. Frankly, it’s better all around that he went. the Parkinson’s had robbed him of the things that made him the man that I knew. At least my wife had a couple of weeks with him to say goodbye. So last night, I made plane reservations, and rental car arrangements to go to Oregon for the funeral.

This morning the merde really hit the electric ventilator. I got a call from the guy I taught with at Volvo for 13 years. Before that he was my teacher. He has been my teacher, my mentor, my friend, my doppelganger (or I was his), my partner, my confidant. He is in the hospital. Lung cancer. Great just fucking great.

When people first meet my partner, they tend to think his picture is in the dictionary under both irascible, and cantankerous. However after a while, they come to realize that he is right about 99% of the time of the things that he seems to cantankerous about. He left Volvo a couple of years ago, and got a job at a local dealer. Shortly thereafter I had one of his technicians in my class. The employee said that my buddy wasn’t going to last long in the job. I told him that if it was a contest of my buddy against the world, I had $5 on my buddy. That was over 2 years ago. Do I need to mention that the technician no longer works at that dealer? :smiley:
So in the battle of my buddy against cancer, I still got $5 on my buddy, and I might even up it to $10. Secretly inside I am afraid that this time, my buddy may have picked an opponent that he can’t beat.

If anybody needs me, I will be under my desk sucking my thumb. I am not looking forward to what tomorrow brings.

If ever there was a post that needs my sig, this is it.

I’m sorry about your FIL and your friend. As I near 40, I think about how my family, friends, and coworkers will start to go. I’ve never had to deal with death on a very personal level, except for grandparents, and I don’t want to, but I know it’s coming.

I hope that your friend is in comfort and peace as he transitions.

Wow. My week sucks too but I think you may have me trumped. Your post did remind me to be grateful for the things that are good in my life.

Dammit, my sig didn’t stick after I previewed. :smack:
Typical for how my week is going.
So let’s try again shall we?

Wow.

I’m sorry for the loss of your father in law - and you are right, sometimes it is better for the living to suffer the loss than for the deceased to continue to suffer.

I hope your friend can win.

You are in my thoughts.

This seems like an appropriate place to share, hope you don’t mind, Rick, but the news from this weekend wasn’t very kind to me, either. I got a call on Saturday that a good friend since I was in kindergarten passed away Saturday morning. He’s been taking pain pills on and off for at least the last 10 years. He was an awesome middle linebacker in high school and college, and tended to hit people pretty hard. Well, this gave him pretty bad pain in his neck, and he started taking Percocet. When this didn’t do the job anymore, he had to switch to Oxycontin. Turns out either that wasn’t doing it for him anymore, either, so he was found dead with a syringe half full of heroin in his body this weekend.

I simply couldn’t believe it, and still don’t. He had so much going for him, and it’s all for naught now. Of all the friends I’ve had throughout the years, he’s one of the last I would have expected this would have happened to. He was a teacher, and just got a job as the high school’s wrestling coach. His little sister was in his metals (shop) class this year.

The funeral’s tomorrow. It’s going to be hard.

You have my sympathies, I thought my week sucked but yours is infinitely worse.

I have recently lost friends to various forms of cancer and just last week found out that another friend in her early 30s has just started chemo after being diagnosed with breast cancer. I shouldn’t have to go to my friends’ funerals, it’s just not right, and certainly not before we’re in our dotage.

I’ll be sending positive thoughts all round!

Sorry to hear your news. Sending supporting thoughts your way.

I’m so sorry for your loss and bad news, Rick. My heart goes out to you and your wife. You have my deepest condolences and a warm hug to help comfort you.

Sadly, I know your pain all too well. I’ve officially declared this the Summer of Suck. On June 8th we lost my (step)brother Barry when he fell 1,000 feet to his death off Angel’s Landing in Zion National Park, right in front of his entire family. It was horrifying and devastating.

We didn’t think it could get any worse than that, and then it did. On Sunday, August 19th, on the way home from dropping their oldest daughter off for her first year at college in Tucson, my cousin Diana’s car was sheared apart by a car that crossed the median of the 10 freeway. Her husband, Michael, and her 6-year-old daughter, Sydney, were killed instantly. I can’t even put into words how devastatingly and crushingly sad it is to bury a little girl alongside her daddy. My cousin is a mess. My uncle (Sydney’s “bubba”) is really a mess. Hell, I’m a mess, and it wasn’t even my husband and child. The whole family is just reeling from heartbreak. How do you heal from this kind of tragedy?

My sympathies for your loss, too, Pygmy Rugger.

Yeah, the Summer of Suck.

Yes. As someone on The Sopranos said, “2007 can fuck itself.” One thing after another has gone wrong, with my mother’s death in March right at the center of it all.

About a week ago, my wife and I were driving down the street discussing what a shitty year this has been. In an attempt to maintain a sense of humor and a positive, can-do attitude about it all, I leaned out the truck’s open window and shook my fist up at the sky, shouting, “Ha! Is this all you got?”

Five seconds later, a car came this close to pulling out right in front of us. Had it done so, I would have plowed right into it. I shut my mouth.

This is why my week sucks, and it’s sucking for the whole town. I live somewhere right around the bottom of the square that’s on top of the town of Ketchum.

And I moved here just a few days before this started! I’m super, super impressed with the fire crews and even more with the way the town has pulled together; I’m super super pissed that it’s happening at all. You would not believe the smoke, and while I haven’t and probably won’t have to evacuate or anything, it’s hurting local businesses badly, including the one I work for. This weekend is one of the biggest moneymakers of the year, apparently, but all the festivities have been cancelled and I have an unexpected vacation until Tuesday. I need the money, dammit, and so does my aunt who is my boss.

Mostly, though, there are a fair number of people who have had to evacuate and who have it worse off than I do, but even staying put this is a really bad situation. It is damn scary having a big fire like that Right There.