In Excelsis Deo: How to pronounce it and what does it mean?

We know a lot about how to pronounce Classical Latin, but we don’t have a full understanding – there are a number of tricky points on which we are just not sure. But we have a good general picture.

Agreed, but it is an awfully long way from boofy_bloke’s “no-one knows how to pronounce Latin” (0% knowledge) to your “there are a number of tricky points on which we are just not sure” (what, 95%? 92%?).

Here’s the antidote (Stan Freberg’s version) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PBO7YE7vjE

Now if I could only find Flight of the Bumblebee on sousaphone sigh

I always seen it translated as “glory to god in the highest skies”

I’m guessing you’ve seen it translated into a French expression, which you are now transliterating into English as “glory to God in the highest skies”

SFAIK, the -cel element of excelsis is cognate with the French ciel, which translates into English as “sky” or “heaven”, according to context. I think in this context “. . . in the highest heaven” might be a better translation than “in the highest skies”.

Well, it’s usually preceded by Gloria. And, yes, the word skies or heavens is implied by using excelsis alone.

You get my point exactly.

Sure.

Okay, it’s a rather colorful tuba, will that suffice?

My high school choir teacher ranted that we were singing, not having breakfast so there are NO egg shells in Angels we have Heard on High She pronounced it excel sis deo.

yay :smiley: thanks!

Wow. A zombie thread is not only allowed to continue, but also made Threadspotting. Excuse me while I go buy a lottery ticket.

EEN would have nothing to do with Latin and everything to do with voice production, I should think. 'Least, my singing teacher taught me there were just five vowel sounds: ah, eh, ee, oh, oo. “I” as in “in” doesn’t fit any of these exactly, but has to be substituted by the nearest-approximation vowel from that list, and “ee” is the closest.

“In eggshell cheeses, mayo.” It’s a recipe for deviled eggs.

een ek shell cease day o

Don’t know nothin’ 'bout no liturgical Latin… All’s I gots is 3 years of high school Latin and AFAIK the C is pronounced as a K, without exception. Oh and to get rid of that day-o earworm, this old fave…

There are a lot more than five vowel sounds in singing. There is absolutely no reason to teach singers that they can’t sing *. It may be easier to blend in a choir, but that’s no excuse for only using those five.

[ul]
wrong
wrong
and wrong
[/ul]

Eeeen ecks chail cease day oh.

No freakin’ eggshells!!! :mad:

Take it up with my singing teacher (who was teaching soloists) and don’t shoot the messenger, dude.

That was my intent (to take issue with your teacher, not you). Sorry if it came off otherwise.