In other countries, what kind of glass is beer served in?

Here in California (and probably the rest of the US), beer on tap comes in pint glasses, or about 473 ml. The word is so closely associated with beer that you could say “Wanna grab a pint after work?” and people would you know mean beer.

What do other countries do? Obviously there must be a more convenient, yet standard, unit of beer-pouring than 473 ml?

Local practices vary. For Kölsch, made and served around Cologne, the standard is a 200 ml tall cylindrical glass of very thin glass. It fits the light cold Kölsch very well.

In Australia? It’s complicated. In my neck of the woods, the usual go-to size would be a glass (200ml) or if you’re really thirsty a pot (285). I don’t often see people ordering pints. There’s also the custom of ordering a jug (about 5 glasses-worth) for the table.

And what do they call the glass?

Moved to Cafe Society.

General Questions Moderator

North of the Murray and south of the land of banana-benders, we usually drink middies (285 ml) or schooners (425 ml).

No particular kind of glass in Sweden. Many bars use pint glasses, though (I mean real pints = 56,8 cl), but they don’t understand that one pint is an exact measurement, not the type of glass the beer is served in.

Keep going further north past The Tweed River, to the aforementioned banana benders and you will find the two main sizes are the same, but the smaller 285ml glass is called a Pot, while a schooner is a schooner. Pints are reasonably common, but are 570ml not 473ml. (if you try and serve 473ml to an Aussie who ordered a pint you better duck!! :smiley: )

In my neck of the woods (I worked in a bar in New Zealand, as well as the occasional drink)

There was the a 12 oz, if you were stopping for only a short while, which you would have in a “lightbulb” (which looks how it sounds) or a tall glass.

There was a pint, which we called “a handle” (because it was served in a glass with a handle) and then there was a jug - which was 1 litre. A jug would normally be accompanied by a 7 oz lightbulb to drink from.

Of course, as “The Dux” (a popular student pub) they served their jugs as a pitcher which was 1.8 litres.

here in Singapore you can buy a 500 ml glass as well, as a pitcher, which tends to vary in size a bit

Here in Israel they come in “third” or “half” - 333 and 500 ml, respectively.

Kölner Stange. in Germany Pils beers are usually served in a stemmed Pilstulpe, Berliner Weisse in a cup-shaped glass. Other beers usually in near-cylindrical glasses of 0.2/0.3/0.4 and occasionally 0.5 litre capacity (beer glasses in restaurants must have a marking so patrons can check if they [referring to the glasses] are correctly filled). Oktoberfest beer in 1 litre steins (note: this is an English word; the German is Bierkrug)

The Imperial Pint is the standard in the UK (568ml). You can also buy a half pint.

This is actually the Law in the UK- our pubs are under very strict controls about drinks measures, to prevent customers being ripped off. Even though we are officially a ‘metric’ nation, we retain pints for beer, and this system is actually protected in the EU as being a British custom.

Pint glasses are stamped with an official crown (see wiki pictures), to show that they comply with the law. We take our beer very seriously!

Here in France, the most typical are the “pinte” (which isn’t an Imperial pint, it’s a trap ! It used to be, kind of, but then it got standardized to half a litre/50 cL) and the “demi” meaning “half”, short for “demi pinte”, which is of course 25 cL. Depending on the kind of beer you’re ordering, the shape/type of glass will vary but typically the volume served will not.

But when college kids and other serious boozehound types are around you might also hear them order beer by the “mètre”, which is a meter-long piece of wood with a dozen indentations, each meant to hold a “demi” glass ; or by the “giraffe” which is kind of a portable beer pump holding anywhere between 2 and 5 litres and is meant to be used by the whole table. Though of course, college kids being the same all over the world, sometimes it’s to each his or her gigantic beer bong :slight_smile:

In Canada, the beer is served in pints too, but they are 19-20oz (568ml) ie Imperial Pint instead of 16oz like in the USA. Some places will serve 16oz pints :frowning: even though they aren’t legally supposed to.

I always liked the small, straight glasses of around 8 oz that they used to give you with your bottle of beer. Basically a juice glass. I haven’t drunk for a decade of so, but since the 70s that was the standard in Chicago corner taps, as well as small bars in rural IL.

I can’t recall ever ordering a draft in those places - no idea what they would have served it in.

But what kind of glasses?
Over here (UK) there are two classic designs for pint glasses, the “straight glass” and the “jug

The straight glass has a bulge, and the jug lacks a spout. Don’t ask me why those names are used. I’ve no idea.

In Holland the most common distinction is:

a ‘fluitje’ (0.2L)
a ‘vaasje’ (0.33L)
and 0.5 L, that is often just called ‘half a liter’ (or mistakenly a ‘pint’)

I have read about a consumer board (for lack of a better English term) in West London that had issued beer mats with a ruler printed on them so that people could measure the height of the beer in the glass.

I’m in the US and my favorite beer place serves beer in glassware appropriate for type and volume. Current draft list.

Basic types they use are “pint” glasses, European style pint glasses, tulip glasses, pilsner glasses, snifters, and a few whose names I do not know(including a very tall, thin, 8 ounce glass).

Granted we are all beer snobs or beer snob wannabes.

In Hungary there are two basic measurements: the 500mL korsó (meaning “mug,” “jug,” or “jar”) and the 300mL pohár (meaning “cup”). Often, you can also find the 200mL piccolo (from the Italian for “small.”) Most often, you will find people drinking from the 500mL. You can occasionally also find a 1L mug, but that’s unusual.