In praise of a keyboard.

In the computer lab, against the left wall as you walk in, three computers from the left, there sits…another computer. But although this particular U-Tron model seems like all of the other computers in the lab, it is actually something more. It has transcended its existence as a computer, and has instead become my new favorite home at school.

This is not only because of its internet access, which allows me to check the SDMB frequently, but because of its keyboard.

Let me explain. This keyboard is the absolutely most glorious piece of machinery I have ever laid fingers upon. Its yield is superb (not so much that you have to pound the keys, but enough so that you know that you’re typing), its action is swift and smoother than a baby’s ass, and it makes the most ideal clicking sound when you hit each key.

If God had a computer, which he probably does, since he needs to keep track of all us Hell-bound sinners somehow, he would use a keyboard just like this. And its mine. All mine.

I love this keyboard. In fact, the entire reason that I made this thread was so that I could have the immense pleasure of typing on the keyboard, and I didn’t have anything important to say on the boards at the moment.

God I’m pitiful.

Jester that was a sterling post - i gave a proper out-loud laugh :). I search not for the perfect keyboard but for the perfect mouse. It must be aeodynamic, moulded perfectly to the shape of my hand, the buttons will click when i apply just the right amount of pressure and the roller will be so perfectly calibrated that it will yeild to the softest touch yet never spin past where i desire. It will glide on any surface and will look damn cool into the bargain. Sadly, my search goes on. Revel in your discovery friend, for you have found happiness.

Fran

IBM used to make a keyboard for it’s PS2 models that was simply amazing. This truly is the keyboard to die for.

1. It has key covers that are removable. Think how easy it would be to switch from an qwerty standard keyboard setup to a Dvorak or even a right handed Dvorak. Just change the keyboard type in your operating system, then move the key covers around on your keyboard.

2. It is practically indestructable. Drop it and it just laughs at you. Kids write on it with pen, no problem. Just wipe it off.

3. Hi Opal.

4. It has a cord that is removable on BOTH ends. That way it packs better for traveling.

5. Not necessarily a feature, but I like it anyway…It has no friggin windows key!!! Nothing is more irritating than playing a good game, then… D’oh! I hit that stupid windows key and killed my game!

I am fortunate. I have this keyboard both at work and at home. It works great, the keys click, but are easy to type,… I just love it.

I’m partial to typewriters, myself. nothing beats the sound of a good old typewriter, if you ask me. But no one uses them anymore. We had one at work last summer and the desk it sat on became MY desk because no one went near it.

I can’t wait to go back this year.

I love the windows key! Love it love it love it. It has all these useful shortcuts that, because I’m temporarily using a different keyboard, is driving me nuts that they’re not there at my fingertips! Wagh!

I also don’t use a mouse - I have a funky little drawing tablet that is so much faster and easier for me to use. Very cool.

I want a keyboard that is silent, reacts to my fingers without needing a heavy slam, does not get all dirty, dusty, and stainy, has a cable that doesn’t constantly get in the way of everything, and has a capslock over next to the numlock and scroll-lock buttons instead of in the stupid place it currently is.

If anyone has a keyboard like tat, please direct me to it forthwith. Thank you.

I’m pretty picky about mice and keyboards myself. I might suggest that you look at the latest Logitech USB optical mice. I have both the ifeel and non-ifeel versions and they are without a doubt the best mice I have ever used and I have tried dozens of different types. Getting rid of the roller and all the associated problems with it makes a world of difference. Operation is smoother and cleaner than with any other mice I have ever tried, mousepads are not required anymore and I’ll never clean out a roller or wheel again plus the diffuse red glow is uber cool!

http://www.logitech.com/cf/products/productoverview.cfm/79

http://www.logitech.com/cf/products/productoverview.cfm/55

http://www.logitech.com/cf/products/productoverview.cfm/57

Get on eBay, and find an old Northgate OmniKey unit. Best damn keyboard ever made. A close runner-up is the IBM Type M, with or without the removable keys. The Focus FK2001 can’t be use to smash open windows like the IBM or Northgate, but it doens’t requite as heavy of a touch as either of the classic imput devices, yet it still offers a precise, clicky feel.

Why can’t anyone make a keyboard with the [Control] key placed where God had intended it to be, left of the [A], and not tucked away in the far bottom left corner?

u-tron keyboards
http://www.utron.com/ecomm/products/peripherals/keyboards_mouse.htm
likely suspect
http://www.keytronic-europe.com/products/kt2001.htm

And may I NOW direct you to our lovely Cordless Mouseman Optical!!!

http://www.logitech.com/cf/products/productoverview.cfm/91

I LOVE this mouse… it fits my hand… so perfectly (much better then the origial mouseman imho.) Its cordless AND optical. 2 orgasms in 1! [sub]…yes… I work for them[/sub] However I would NEVER say this unless I truly ment it, they make great products. I knew that BEFORE I worked for them and it has only reinforced AFTER. I can’t say that for ANY other company I have teched for.

astro, I’m pretty sure that the keyboard we speak of is the first one down on the utron website, but I can’t be sure, since at the moment the computer lab is closed, and I am forced to type on an infreior model.

As for mice, I agree that finding a good one would is heaven. However, my school’s selection leaves much to be desired, since all the balls are dusty and some of them <gasp> don’t even have rollers! Shameful.

However, my friend has an Intellimouse, which is optical and a damn fine specimen. The closest that I’ve gotten to a truly high-quality one.

I tried the latest Logitech optical cordless and while it’s a good mouse it’s not quite fast or precise enough for fast twitch gaming. The smoother USB unit still wins (for me). Logitech is a good company.

Okay Jester, you’re aware you’re a pedophile now? :slight_smile:

QUOTE]*Originally posted by Jester *
**astro, I’m pretty sure that the keyboard we speak of is the first one down on the utron website, but I can’t be sure, since at the moment the computer lab is closed, and I am forced to type on an infreior model.

As for mice, I agree that finding a good one would is heaven. However, my school’s selection leaves much to be desired, since all the balls are dusty and some of them <gasp> don’t even have rollers! Shameful.

However, my friend has an Intellimouse, which is optical and a damn fine specimen. The closest that I’ve gotten to a truly high-quality one. **
[/QUOTE]

That would be Addesso’s baby
http://www.adessoinc.com/eagtouch.html
FEATURES:

Includes three new Windows®98 keys and three Windows®95 keys
Wrist support is easily attached and detached.
Quiet membrane tactile keyswitches for longer life.
Laser printed keycaps for longer wear.
Large ENTER and Backspace keys; extra-large SPACE bar.
Separate cursor and numeric keypads.
Dual Alt, Shift and Ctrl Keys for left or right-handed user.
LED indicators for Num Lock, Caps Lock and Scroll Lock
One Year Warranty

They typically retail for 14 to 19 or so.