In recognition of Coldfire

Think Geddy Lee, not Limbaugh…

The other Rush

:o Okay, so I’m out of the modern underground culture loop, but I was really far out in my day. :smiley: (For what it’s worth, I do know Wes from Puddle of Mud personally. I’ve even had drinks with him. But that probably only pegs me as square.)

So, just when did you drop out of the underground culture loop? 'Cause Rush has been around since 1974.

:slight_smile:

1973, I reckon. :smiley:

[Mr. Rooney’s secretary]

Coldfire is a righteous dude!

[/Mr. Rooney’s secretary]
Hell yes he’s a good guy. In fact, next time I make it over to Amsterdam, I’m gonna pay off all his bar tabs.

Thanks guys! It’s always nice to hear that our work here is appreciated.

We do try to remain evenhanded, even in heated times like these, what with the upcoming elections and all. I tell you, moderating in election year is a bit of a challenge sometimes. There are days you think the entire board consists of assholes, on either side of the political fence I might add. But it’s always good to realise that there are real people behind those heated posts - people who would probable get along a whole lot better over a beer than they do at times, here.

gum, I don’t think our political views differ that much. You’ve described yourself as a bit of a leftie, as I recall - I’m middle of the road, leaning left in some ways, and right in others. Lib is right in assessing that his political views are quite far from mine, but that should never have any influence on my moderating decisions. And indeed I hope it doesn’t ever come across that way - for anyone.

As for the May 5 thread - yeah, it’s quite something. It started out as a little personal “thank you” to the Liberators, one sunny spring day four years ago. All the posts in it, spread out over the years, have made it quite memorable. It really isn’t “my” thread anymore, it’s more of a proof to me that regardless of politics and ideology, there are some things that unite all of us. And for that, I’m forever thankful.

Finally, with regard to my taste in women… I’d like to say that it really is more of a case of me being extremely lucky. Although Heloise and I “met” on these boards, there was never anything romantic going on until we met, at a Dopefest in LA, late 2001. Just precisely WHAT she sees in me is rather unclear, but hey, she said “yes” on February 29, and I’m not complaining one bit. If all is well, she’ll be with me permanently in a matter of weeks. I can’t wait. :slight_smile:

I’ve always been curious as to how you learned English so well, even down to regional colloquialisms and slang. Gum says that it’s taught in school, but a person doesn’t acquire the sort of proficiency that you have in lessons. Also, do you speak as confidently and fluently as you write?

Well, I do have a bit of a talent for languages. Essentially, I had 6 years of English in high school, attended a 6 year university (well, I could have done it in 4, but I was having too much fun) which was mostly taught in English (and 99% of the literature was, too), and I also worked for an English boss for 2.5 years. In addition, I found this message board, and a few years later, met a very nice girl on a Dopefest far far away, who happened to be American. :slight_smile:

The only downside of me meeting Heloise is that my Queen’s English went straight down the toilet, and I speak with a rather generic American accent now. The things we sacrifice for love. :wink:

So, while most Dutch people (and certainly 95% of people under, say, 40) speak English well enough to engage in a pretty thorough conversation, they wouldn’t necessarily have the same grip on colloquialisms and slang as I do. I’m not saying that to toot my own horn, BTW, but most people just don’t get that kind of exposure.

As for my fluency in speech, yeah, it’s pretty good. I still search for the odd word here and there, and just love learning new things. Luckily, my wife never fails to amaze me with new intricacies of the American language, what with her South Carolina upbringing. :slight_smile:

I’d say gum’s command of the language is well above average as well. At least in writing: for all I know he speaks with the most horrible Ruud Lubbers accent. :smiley:

(OK, that one’s probably gonna whoosh most non-Dutch posters…)

I thought it was the giant clog-shaped penis.

Nice fella. Too bad he’s Dutch.

:smiley:

Just kidding. My best friend’s wife is Dutch and she is one of the most amazing women I’ve met. Hopefully not all Dutch people are like that. It would make me feel woefully inadequate.

Nice fella.

Coldie, good luck with Heloise.

Dutch? Hmm…

PS What’s the best Dutch beer? :smiley:

Probably the kilt picture. Us women can’t resist a man in a kilt. (Well, as long as it’s not someone like, say, Wilford Brimley).

Good luck to you guys!

Guinastasia, You’ve seen a pic of Coldfire in a kilt? :eek: I’d love to see that. *And * one in which he wears the outfit Shirley Ujest described. Please?

Liberal, Not only do we have English at school; All our English-spoken [and other foreign laguages, for that matter] news, documentaries, movies, etc, are subtitled. The ideal way to get a good grip of a language, imho. And we do have a lot American stuff on TV. Kids grow up with foreign languages.
This is useful.
Have you ever heard of Dutch as a world language? Nah… :slight_smile:

Coldfire Thankee kindly sir, but I’m afraid you’re a tad optimistic about my command of the language.

Hehehehehe, :), Nope. I don’t sound like our bippy-nipper Lubbers. [nor do I look like him, thank ummm whatever]

Good luck to you and Heloïse

I dunno.

I think Coldfire is the ‘Uncle Tom’ of this message board, kissing Yank arse and even marrying a bloody Yank. Hell, the hegemonic ramifications are enormous to the astute abserver of things trans-Atlantic. Must take a teaspoonful of humility every day to swallow even a portion of the conservative, Yank-centrism bias herein.

And, to receive and even accept accolades from Liberal? One must wonder.

I commend you for a thoughtful and provocative post, Sisyphus’ Stone. :smiley:

I’ve been lucky enough to meet Clogboy on a few occasions and hope to do so again in the near future (possibly at the end of Aug. if schedules work out and work don’t cancel the training in A’dam) and always found him quite annoying actually.
How can a guy be so nice, smart and funny? It’s just annoying I tell you :smiley:

Big up to the Dutch fellow.

Okay.

Jasper.

What is the big tassled thing hanging in the front? And I thought kilts were worn by Scotsmen…