In reference to the Peter Pan question on the homepage

About 15 years back my mother decided to do a family tree and dig as far back as possible to see who she was related too. She was born in Dumphries, Scotland as were most of her relatives before her. After a few months of searching she discovered that J M Barrie was related to her. Every man since him has carried on the name, including my late grandfather James McGregor Barrie. My mother’s brother was taking a trip back to Scotland and ventured through some of the wax musems and such. As it turns out they happen to have a statue of him in one of the musems.

Just a little note but I found it interesting to see it here, I don’t see his name mentioned all that often and wanted to share that with anyone interested.

Quote from the homepage:

“All kidding aside, J. M. Barrie did not invent the name Wendy for his 1904 play Peter Pan, the Boy Who Wouldn’t Grow Up (the book form of the story, Peter and Wendy, was published in 1911). He did popularize it, though. Barrie apparently was inspired to use the name by a young friend named Margaret Henley, the daughter of writer William Henley. Margaret, who died around 1895 at age 6, called Barrie her “friendy.” Since she couldn’t pronounce her Rs at the time, the word came out “fwendy,” or “fwendy-wendy,” in some versions of the story.”

Hey JustaGirl!

Welcome to the boards.

This is interesting but two things.

One if you are refering to another thread or one of the columns you should provide a link. (you can learn how to do that in the About This Message Board section or the ATMB section)

Two even though you are talking about your connection to an author you should put this in the Comments on the Columns area of the message board, which is pretty interesting to read.

thanks for the tip and for the welcome :slight_smile: I wasnot sure where to put that but I will delete it and send it to the appropriate board

take care :slight_smile:

JaG

You’ve probably noticed by now that only moderators can delete posts here. They could have moved the post for you if asked, which would have been preferable over you starting a new thread in the proper forum.