In the event of an emergency, the first animals Wellington Zoo will shoot are...

Do you really? When it comes to Americans and guns, anything’s possible, and I’m genuinely curious.

I haven’t started yet - I just had orientation and I have to produce a negative TB test first. (Well, if you flunk the TB test you can still work in the aquarium or customer service, but goddamn if I’m going to not get paid to do a job like the one that I get paid to have burn me out!) I got the TB shot thing today and I keep nervously looking at it to see if it does anything. They’ll read it Monday.

Evidently the gorillas are most likely to not like tall men, but sometimes they just have a thing against you and you can’t work with them.

My sister is one of the on-call vets at Wellington Zoo (or she was before she went on maternity leave) - I’ll have to ask her what her standing is with the big apes!

Oh, man. I passed positive on my last TB test because I was vaccinated when I was a baby. (I was given a chest X-Ray which proved I didn’t have it.) I haven’t been tested in the last ten years, though. I hope my dreams of working at the zoo can still be intact.

I wouldn’t presume to answer for Ducati, but I’m relatively sure he was serious. Some of us carry every day for a variety of reasons. Just goes on with the pants.

-JR

What’s the zoo’s policy on pandas? I mean, they’re already armed. In the case of an emergency, will they take away their food supply? Because, you know what they say…

My completely WAG is that the effective type and amount of tranquilizer for any given animal would be very specific; a raging wildebeest isn’t going to get the same amount or drug as a charging chimp. A rifle is more of a one-size-fits-all kind of thing.

I know Disney’s Animal Kingdom keeps a couple on hand whenever the park is open. They also have a list of animals considered too dangerous to attempt to recapture and are to be shot if they got loose.

The gorillas and tigers are both on the list.

Well, let’s digress a bit and fight some ignorance…

1. Ducati is American
  2. Ducati is a former cop
  3. Ducati is a firearms instructor
  4. I’m getting tired of typing “Ducati”
  5. Ducati has a gun or 2 saved from a tragic boating accident
  6. Ducati had the great fortune to marry a “gun girl”
  7. If Duc is wearing pants, Duc is packin’ heat

When you become a cop, your view of the world is changed forever.
Off-duty or retired, you see signs of trouble where others don’t. You see the guy who is going to shoplift, or other things. Your situational awareness is second to none, and you’re always in condition yellow.

The city of Atlanta is known for a few things; Southern hospitality, The Varsity, the MLK center, and high crime. We’re only 3rd behind Detroit and Camden, NJ.

Zoo Atlanta, the clever name for the Atlanta zoo is in one of the worst areas of the city itself, so going un-armed into that neighborhood is folly anyway. Couple that with my aforementioned refusal to face an escaped animal with only ice cream or a stuffed otter in hand, and you can bet that I have at least one gun on my hip.

I do understand that my chances of having to plug a big cat or runaway chimp are pretty small, but it’s not zero. Odds are much greater that I’ll encounter a freelance pharmaceutical rep. in the parking lot looking for investors and doesn’t like to hear “NO.”

Sadly, the world can be a dangerous place at times. Stay behind me & you’ll be fine.

Remember, you don’t have to be able to run faster than the leopard to get away. You just have to be faster than somebody else.

[TB hijack]

If you’re serious, then ask them if you can produce the results from a Quantiferon Gold TB test, rather than a PPD skin test. You’ll probably always test positive with a PPD, but the Quantiferon Gold isn’t fooled by the BCG vaccine.

Same advice applies if you’re asymptomatic and you test positive with the PPD. The PPD can read positive if you’ve been exposed to any of the thousands of mycobacteria. The Quantiferon Gold will only test positive if you’ve been exposed to the strains that actually cause TB and a few of the benign ones (far fewer than the PPD). There are zillions of harmless *mycobacteria *species, many of which live in soil and water and on leaves. Avid campers or gardeners often have been exposed to one of them, and will have a positive PPD with no TB exposure.

[/TB hijack]

If you have a gun, that’s even easier. If you miss the leopard, you’re bound to hit another zoogoer and give the leopard a slow, already-bleeding snack.

Sigh, once again, tardigrades fail to make anyone’s list.