in the heat of the night

It is now 9:54 o’clock where I live (New York).

Around this time (8 to 11 p.m.) I notice that I feel more hot than at any other time of the day.

My veins dilate and become more varicose than usual. My head feels hot and I feel flush (and no, it’s not a hot flash!) but when I look in the mirror, my face is its usual creamy-beige-colored hue. Often, though, my ears get bright red during this time.

What’s the deal? Even though the air is cooler, it may be just as humid, which might account for the veins dilating. But why would I feel hot? And why would I feel flush?

I don’t know who first said “everyone’s a critic,” but I think it’s a really stupid saying.

Um…you’ve just finished dinner and you love Mexican food?

It’s now 1:02. The hot spell has gone. It usually does after around 11. So it’s something to do with sleepiness.

This happens in the winter, too, by the way.

I’m not crazy I tell you!!!

Sure, you’re not crazy, Pete, sure you’re not… But seriously, a lot of hormones are released in a pulsatile fashion and are influenced by circadian rhythms. Do you experience these “flashes” at the same time of day as the clock reads no matter what time the sun went down? It’s possible that this might have something to do with it.

Yeah, it’s always around 8 - 11, regardless of the season.

Maybe you work in a cool place, live in a warm one, and home finally cools down by 11?

Nah, I’m a lazy teenager. It’s summer. I don’t work. I stay home all day.

“More varicose than normal”? Varicose means abnormally swollen or dilated. I’m trying to picture this.
On 2nd thought, no I’m not.