In what field would a degree in law or government give you an advantage over other job applicants.

Just recently I found out that law enforcement organizations give preference to applicants with law degrees. Does anyone know any other professions where this is the case?

When I got a B.A. in Government I did not give it much thought other than thinking it would look good on my application to law school. Now I’m wondering if there are any professions that would prefer someone with a degree in Government.

Same thing for my J.D. It doesn’t give me an advantage in the legal feild over other applicants with JDs, but there might be another field (like law enforcement) that prefers applicants who have a law degree.

There is a vast network of companies that provide various technology and professional services to the legal industry. They often look for people with JDs. Look up “litigation consulting” or “legal services”, “disputes advisory”.
AFAIK, no one “prefers” any degree other than one that is a prerequisite or otherwise closely linked to the job. i.e, MBAs are preferred in finance or consulting, JDs are required for law, accounting or finance is preferred in accounting or finance.
I’m not sure what a B.A. in Government does for you. The only person I know who has one does advertising sales for a media company. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. It just doesn’t have anything to do that’s specifically related to a Government BA.

There’s a field of consulting that’s basically about getting government grants, figuring which kind of investments should your company choose that will let it get the most aid, etc. That one has a deep appreciation for law/government/politics degrees - any degree which is supposed to imply a specially good grasp on “bureaucratic navigation”.

Lobbyist sounds like another one that would like that kind of thing.

When I graduated from law school in Y2k, salaries for associates in large urban law firms spiked dramatically (by more than 50% in some markets) and the most widely accepted explanation was that the analytical skills that one developed in law school made JDs very attractive to the then booming tech sector, forcing the more traditional legal employers to compete aggressively for talent. For obvious reasons, this trend did not continue to gain momentum in subsequent hiring seasons, but law schools still employ the relevant teaching methods and we still have a profitable and highly competitive tech sector so I’m sure the demand remains.

Actually the FBI hires a large number of CPA’s to become agents, primarily for white collar crime investigations.

And computer science degrees.

And JDs, actually.

Yep.

This is what inspired this thread. I was told by someone who works for the FBI that I should apply because I have a law degree, and they look for applicants with JDs.

Unfortunately I don’t meet the vision and hearing requirements for their special agent position. I’m hoping they’re more flexible with their intelligence analysts.

Lexis and Westlaw both hire JDs for various roles, including customer service–ie, providing search assistance for subscribers. It started at about $42k in 2000, likely pays better now. Think they prefer sales staff to have JDs as well.

The downside to the customer service positions, at least with Lexis, is you have to live within commuting distance of Miamisburg, OH (outside of Dayton).

I hear it sucks actually… one of my wife’s former co-workers (both are lawyers) quit her corporate law job and went to Quantico, etc… and ended up an FBI analyst and hated it even more than she hated working in corporate law.

Then again, the actual FBI agent that I’ve met actually loves it and does some really cool shit- up to and including being on a regional FBI SWAT team as a sniper, and doing undercover work.

This is true. When I worked in computer forensics/forensic accounting/litigation consulting a fair number of my colleagues had experience working for the FBI, NSA, or other law enforcement/intelligence agencies in one capacity or another.
I would look at any company on this trade show exhibitor list. Maybe even check out the trade show if it’s in your area.