In which Idle Thoughts watches popular movies most have seen already but that he hasn't.

Hello, my name is Slow Moving Vehicle, and I’ve…never seen the Godfather movies.

I’m not a big fan of Tarantino, either, and it took me seeing it a few times, but now I think Pulp Fiction was one of the best movies in the last twenty years or so.

The movie didn’t make much of an impression - except for those two scenes (you know which ones I mean) - but the book was fantastic. I’ve read a couple of other things Welsh has written, and thought they were good. But Trainspotting was worthy of a Booker Prize.

I loved that movie, which lovingly depicted the triumph of drugs over the human spirit. Plus a truly remarkable score.

EDIT: If you haven’t seen them, you might want to check out the Jennifer Connelly on a pier trilogy:

Dark City
Requiem for a Dream
House of Sand and Fog

So does Demolition Man :slight_smile:

I dunno. I liked it but not all that much. Loved the opening scene though, that’s among his best.

One of Tarantino’s greatest strengths is as a writer, especially of dialogue. Some of my favorite moments in Pulp Fiction and Inglourious Basterds are when characters are talking to each other with little or no action.

Idle, if I were you, I’d start the Star Wars series with Episode IV: A New Hope (first one released, in 1977). If you start with Episode I, you might give up on watching all of them. The prequels were not universally loved.

Agreed. Episode IV really is the start of the story if not the chronology.

Missed out Fight Club from that list…

Machete Order is the way to go.

I liked Pulp Fiction and hated Inglorious Basterds. I hated it so much it put me off Tarantino movies. I hear good things about Django unchained though, is it at all like Inglorious Basterds?

So, what did you think? You have some good times ahead of you with your list.

After I saw RfaD I said to myself, “Self, we have never done drugs, but we’re stopping right now.”

Explained here by a set of experts.

Yeah, was quite remarkable - particularly the book. Things like getting on the bus and there’s half a dozen young lads with their noses buried in a copy. We got tickets for one of the preview showings of the film in Falkirk, and that was quite a night, with bottles of booze and joints getting passed around in the cinema. An absolutely unforgettable shared viewing experience.

Hate is strong, but except for the bad guy I wasn’t enthralled by IG. I liked Django better, so give it a try. It’s still very “Tarantino” and all that implies. Same with Mulholland Drive - your experience may depend on whether you like Lynch’s other films.

I didn’t particularly like Requiem for a Dream either. Parts of it would’ve been more subtle if replaced with Mr. Mackey telling you that drugs are bad over and over. There’s something wrong when the parts starring Marlon Wayans are the most realistic.

OP might want to check out Memento (2000) as well. Dark City is good, although the intro is stupid, apparently a director’s cut removes it.

IT - do you want recommendations? If so, anything in particular to aim for (science fiction good, depressing bad, for example)?

Until I hear back, I’ll bite my tongue and salute your ambition. Huzzah!

The Batman movies are the only ones in that list that I’ve seen. No, I’ve never seen Star Wars, and there’s a perverse part of me that wants that to remain the case, just because it’s so rare for anyone my age. Plus, I already know all the plot points, so I’m not sure I’d get much out of it.

I do know I’ve read many, many times that you should not watch Episode 1 first. The order I will eventually watch them in, if I do so, will be the recommended IV, V, I, II, III, VI. It turns the prequels into an flashback explanation for Anakin after you find out he’s Luke’s father.

And, no, I’m not spoilering that, as there’s absolutely no way he doesn’t know.

Does it make you feel old that it actually came out 21 years ago?

Can I pile on to the strong recommendation not to do that? Start with the original (episode 4) and then follow with empire strikes back (episode 5). At that point if you want to continue to Jedi before going to the prequels you can, but I think there is a good argument to be made that Jedi is better seen after the prequels if you don’t know the story. Either way, start with the movie that came out first.

Shut up! I do not believe you. I am not that old.

Yep. Best movie I never want to see again.

So, Idle Thoughts, how was Requiem? I watched it once and I don’t ever need to see it again. It’s beautiful but so powerful and disturbing that you are not likely to forget it very soon. I haven’t.