In Which Lady Gaga Shocks Thailand

It shows everyone that you have enough disposable income to spend on a fancy watch. You can buy a fancy house, but you aren’t always at home. You can drive a fancy car, but you aren’t always driving. A fancy watch, on the other hand, everybody sees that.

BBC is saying she’s canceled her Indonesian concert due to threats of violence by extreme hardliners. They’re calling her “the devil’s messenger.” Pity, because that’s generally considered a moderate country. The government had banned her show earlier until she agreed to tone down her act a bit. But with these threats of violence, it’s just not practical.

She sure does shake things up.

I think the cancellation of the Indonesian show had more to do with lack of ability to control/police the crowd, and her not wanting anyone to end up dead, than actual religious influence of the Fringe. They were just a media expediency, in the end. Just my opinion.

What was the purpose, the point of making the Rolex statement? There isn’t anything positive she could have mentioned and actually endeared herself to the locals? What an arrogant bitch. The infamous “Ugly American” .

Paul McCartney recently played in Guadalajara. He didn’t mention our problems. He went out and hired a mariachi band to accompany him on stage. That is class. Hioghlighting something positive in our culture.

Maybe she was actually planning to buy a fake Rolex? How is that offensive?

She should have stopped by Patpong to look for one. What a fun place!

Some people think she did it just because she knew it would get publicity. It certainly did do that. Even a deputy commerce minister got into the act, saying she should go back to America “where they stole Thailand’s jasmine-rice strains” is how I believe he put it.

I’ve always wondered how rich people deal with the “cuff problem” - I find that when I’m off to Tesco in my single-breasted midnight emerald Anderson and Sheppard velvet jacket (and eggshell Brioni shirt), which I wear with some old Salvatore Ferragamo loafers I have lying around, no-one can see the Rolex because it’s hidden by the jacket. So I have to keep holding my arm out, and then people think I’m a Nazi.

Transparent cuffs? A little cut-out? A second Rolex that I could wear on an custom-made leather strap by Coco de Mer around my forehead. There are plenty of diamond-encrusted mobile phones, though, so perhaps rich people just carry one of those. I wonder if you can get a diamond-encrusted diamond?

There’s a bloke in the UK called Alexander Amosu, who made a fortune selling ringtones and now sells very expensive tat. Including this, a diamond-encrusted Lamborghini car key. For those occasions when throwing your regular Lamborghini car key onto the pub counter just won’t do, this one is made out of gold and encrusted with diamonds and costs £7,000.

Update: The Commerce Ministry’s Intellectual Property Department is going to lodge an official complaint against Lady Gaga with the American ambassador. Story here. No doubt the American government will get right on the case. :rolleyes:

Further news flash: The 50,000 screaming fans who attended her conference would like the department to go fuck itself.

Wow. I think it’s really a good thing that I don’t have the power to completely disrupt the functioning of minor governments by merely speaking one sentence. I’d likely end up banned from half the world.

I’m surprised you passed over The Taint Remains.

Well, not all minor governments have the rice-strain-theft chip on their shoulder. You might be OK.

You mean, she’s the Doctor?

Siam Sam, at least she didn’t insult the King.

Yeah, I mean, come on! You want fraud, you go to Nigeria. Duh. Everyone knows that.

Note to the Nigerian Embassy: This is a joke.

Say, I have some prime Thai swampland for sale. Special price for Straight Dope members only.

Put me down for a 5 spot… fuck it, make it ten.

Nah, sounds too much like Remains of the Taint.

They’re precise as mechanical watches go, which is to say not very. If you want an accurate watch, you buy a Casio G Shock. If you want a retro piece of intricate mechanical jewellery, you buy a Rolex. If you buy a Rolex and tell people it’s because of the accuracy, well, I have an investment opportunity you may be interested in.

Some musicians have talent and their music speaks for itself:

Weak musicians rely on auto-tune, backing singers, backing tracks, costumes, dancers, stage effects … and publicity.

In years to come, people will play Beatles’ music with pleasure.
And vaguely remember some crazy woman who wore meat…

I claim absolutely no expertise on the quality of a genuine Rolex. I have kids to put through college first. Just sorta what I have heard (Obviously by those who know nothing.). As I stated it was a sharp looking watch for 20 bucks and lasted significantly longer than 20 bucks would warrant.

Rolex, shmolex. They busted a factory in Bangkok a few weeks ago that was churning out fake Nescafe. I kid you not.

Oh, and it looks like they busted a Vietnamese pickpocket gang that was working the concert. Story here.