In Your Eyes: What happened to the churches?

I’ve heard Peter Gabriel’s “In Your Eyes” twice in the last 24 hours, and I’ve noticed that the line “I see the doorway to a thousand churches” has been excised from the song. Is this some new development? Does anyone know why it was changed? I love this song and liked that line, so now I’m scratching my head over this edit. Any insight appreciated. Thanks.

His version, right? Not the crappy new-ish live version by someone else?

His version, though it may be live, I cannot recall exactly.

I did a Usenet search on google about it. Here are the results. In the discussion, a PG fan named “laure” said that there’s an intro/outro that PG does live but isn’t on the original So 1986 album:

Then a big PG fan named Dan Pulliam weighed in with this:

This may indirectly answer the question about the churches. I think Dan is saying that PG used the 1000 churches image for a shorter cut but perhaps the “real” lyrics are what he performs live.

I have heard both the album and live versions and have always heard the line included. Maybe I just don’t listen to enough different versions?

I’ve noticed for a number of years that “popular” music stations cut that line throughout the song for some reason that I have never been able to quite fathom. The local 80s station plays what appears to be the Radio Edit, but the “thousand churches” line is in all the choruses (contrary to what bleach’s post states).

Methinks there are more than 5 versions out there.

Sorry to open this up again, but I just saw this board, even though I’ve been looking for the same answer since I first noticed the missing line in 2001. I also had the people who think they’re being clever by mentioning other versions, but none of those only delete the line in question. I never did find an answer, so would just blame it on Clearchannel, as they own most commercial radio stations in the US, and the full version was played on school, public, and better stations. I could never figure out who it offended, buf since it was on Clearchannel, I assumed Christians misinterpreted the lyric. It also never made sense to cug it out, either, as “the resurrection of all the fruitless searches” never had a line to rhyme with, like the other lines in the chorus do.
However, inthe past year or so, it seems it is back, just as mysteriously as it had disappeared 16 years ago.

Welcome to The Dope, Dexdan! Hope you stick around.

When I DJ’d student radio, we played popular tracks on cartridges (tape), which eliminated the need to handle an que up vinyl singles. Since the carts where made up by us, it was also possible to simply remove bad dents and scratches.

If they were programmed by a single operator, it might have been something as simple as that.