Inappropriate songs for weddings, etc.

Ever been to a wedding or similar and hear a song that makes you :dubious:? Preferably at one you actually attended, unless you can think of a particularly bad hypothetical choice.

[ul]
[li]I haven’t heard this in person, but let’s get Every Breath You Take out of the way.[/li][/ul]
Wedding #1: it was obvious that the crappy DJ was just doing club hits from the past 10 years as the wedding was winding down. Still, some were questionable:

[ol]
[li]Lil Jon and the Eastside Boyz ft. Ying Yang Twins - Get Low. Sample lyrics:[/li]

If you are of a different generation, the definition of skeet (scroll down).
[li]Soulja Boy – Crank That (Soulja Boy).[/li]Lyrics. Definition of “superman.”

Wedding #2
[li]The Rolling Stones - Under My Thumb[/li]More recent wedding. This was like 3 songs into the reception, so it’s not like the DJ assumed everyone was drunk and could get away with it, and it wasn’t some weird “the wife must obey her husband” Evangelical wedding.
[/ol]

And the “etc.” Graduations, funerals, etc., although funerals are often instrumental or religious.

During the reception after my neice’s Bat Mitzvah the DJ called up a series of well-wishers, starting with my brother and sister-in-law, the grandparents, etc. Each person was brought up front with a snippet of a song. My younger neice, sister of the Bat Mitzvah girl, was played in to Lady Marmelade. No doubt because of the “Hey sister, soul sister, go sister!” etc. refrain at the start of the song. I sat in the audience slack-jawed and prayed that the musical introduction would end before the part of the song about New Orleans prostitutes. :eek: This one time my prayers were answered positively. Close one!

I think the Stones’ 'You Can’t Always Get What You Want" might be inappropriate. Especially for the processional.

Adam Sandler would have us believe that the correct answer is “Love Stinks” by The J. Geils Band.

I Got It From Agnes- Tom Lehrer

“My Best Friend’s Girl”

In honor of the man, Lou Reed’s The Kids:

and is has actual children crying in it.

If that doesn’t get you on the dance floor, you’re dead inside.

“I Will Always Love You” by Dolly Parton, and covered by Whitney Houston. People just look at the title and don’t realize it’s a break-up song.
“The One I Love” by R.E.M. Same as above. “A simple prop to occupy my time.”

I was at a wedding where the bride’s name was Allison.

The DJ proceeds to play “Alison” by Elvis Costello.

Hey, when the bride and groom put that on my “Songs You want the DJ to Play” list then I would play it. And while most people know it’s a breakup song they also associate it with the movie where it represents the emotion of a separation between two people who are very much in love.

And I saw all kinds of requests for raunchy music that I would try to hold off till Granny and the kids cleared out. Many times I had to politely ask the bride or groom if they could wait a little longer before I played “Strokin”.

I was proud of the fact that I was able to tactfully hold off (except once) until “Club party hour”.

The one exception was the best man who gave me a CD with an untitled song on it and told me to dedicate it to the bride. After he assured me that it was “family safe” I dedicated the song to the bride and then cued up “If You See Kay”.

So don’t be in a hurry to judge the DJ. Many times he’s just following instructions.

Most inappropriate song/event I’ve heard myself: the event was a high school dance; the song was Warren Zevon’s Excitable Boy.

It is, in fact, a very dancible tune. But the lyrics were far from appropriate.

At one point the ‘excitable boy’ of the title rapes and murders a girl he took to the junior prom …

I once attended a very expensive wedding, where the bride was marrying into a wealthy family. Most of the groom’s family did not show out of protest because they thought the bride was a gold digger, the father of the bride was out six figures paying for the hall, and most of the wedding party had been cajoled into buying “more expensive than they could really afford” dresses to match the decor. So there was some tension of an economic variety.

They actually had a cover band instead of a DJ, who played Fergie’s “Glamorous” with the classic repeated lyric, “If you ain’t got no money take your broke ass home”.

A few months ago an engaged co-worker heard Cher’s “Believe” playing on the breakroom radio and mentioned she wanted it played at her reception.

It took three of us reciting the lyrics to make her realize it was a breakup song. She admitted all she’d ever made out was “life after love” and assumed it was about life changing once you find the right person

I know a couple that had Big Bopper’s Wedding played at their reception

My sister insisted on having Rockpile’s “I Knew The Bride (When She Used to Rock and Roll)” played at her wedding, even though it was sort of insulting to herself and her groom.

They’re divorced now.

We had Weird Al Yankovic’s “One More Minute” played at our daughter’s wedding. You should have heard the comments from the groom’s side of the family! Our side knows our silly humor all too well.

[constant "doo wop"s in the background throughout the song]

Aahh

Well I heard that you’re leavin’ (leavin’)
Gonna leave me far behind (so far behind)
'Cause you found a brand new lover
You decided that I’m not your kind (aahh…)

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/w/weird+al+yankovic/one+more+minute_20145860.html

JerrySTL: We ask that people respect the rights of artists and authors by not quoting long passages from their work. I have trimmed down the excerpt you posted; feel free to link to the whole thing elsewhere if you’d like.

twickster, Cafe Society moderator

ETA: Which I see Marley did while I was writing this note.

Totally inappropriate! It’s spelled differently! :slight_smile:

The Pixies song might work, except it’s about a guy. And I see from there that Costello covered one of his songs…

I read about a fictional wedding in which the hymn “Abide with Me” was played. That’s about death, basically. It’s addressed to God, not to the spouse.

Another unsuitable one would be “Band of Gold” by Freda Payne. “But last night on our honeymoon/We stayed in separate rooms.”

Back in 1992, the secretary where I worked at the time was planning her wedding. I asked her why nobody uses “Aqualung” at weddings.

I probably wasn’t going to get an invitation anyway.