"indestructible disc"

I was browsing angle grinders on Amazon and came upon an item called an “Indestructible Disc”. There’s video where it’s cutting disparate materials like they’re stale bread. Cool! I look for the price and find that it’s only sold in 5 packs. Why would I want more than one indestructible disc?

Because they only resist wear and are not indestructible but we don’t really have anything in place to prevent false labeling/advertising like this.

You’re probably talking about these:

Why would you need more than one?* They’re indestructible. You’ll never replace it. :roll_eyes:

*Ok, one possible reason: you’re buying for multiple angle grinders in a shop with multiple workers.

The third picture down uses the term “Unbreakable”. So it won’t break but it can wear out, possibly at a slower rate than the competition. Also, it could become contaminated depending on what you’re grinding.
It might also be that the seller doesn’t speak English doesn’t know the difference between indestructible and unbreakable.
Or it could be puffery. Or outright lying.

More than one company sells diamond angle grinder wheels with a lifetime guarantee. If they do destruct or just get dull you get a new one at no cost. I’ve heard from a couple of people that they live up to their guarantee terms. The catch is the high cost of the first one. I don’t have one yet but may get one when my supply of grinding wheels wears out. Bad Dog Tools is one of the companies here in RI so I can just exchange wheels at the factory without waiting or paying for shipping. The wheels are very strong and reportedly long lasting. But at $169.95 entry price I’m not sure I’d ever recover my initial cost.

Even as a very young kid just learning to read, I distinctly recall my skepticism of those unbreakable hair combs that were ubiquitous at the time.

https://www.amazon.com/G-B-S-Unbreakable-Sideburns-Travel-Friendly-Christmas/dp/B084T6CYZB/

When an indestructible disc such as you
Meets an old unsliceable object like me…

The diamond coating on these discs does eventually dull, but the ones I use (Ridgid, from Home Depot, a little less than $30) outlast conventional abrasive cutoff wheels probably 100:1 (at $3-4 per cutoff wheel, that’d be around $300 to 400). And they won’t shatter like conventional cutoff wheels can.

This is the most blatant case of fraudulent advertising since my suit against the film The Neverending Story.

When I was a kid I got a toy that the package said was made of “unbreakable plastic”. I was totally shocked when it broke. I think that’s when my innocence ended.

Thanks for the tip - if they ever fix the bridge I’ll take a road trip from Providence and check them out. It is a bit too fa - might have to pack a lunch…

Makes a great gift!

I was disappointed in my Everlasting Gobstopper purchase, too.

In my experience [adjective][shape] products often disappoint. I was less than amazed by Amazing Triangle, and Gelatinous Cuboid was neither especially Gelatinous, nor cubical.

Was it mean to stop a single Gob or to top several Gobs?

Is this a real product? Because I only know those as patrolling 10’ by 10’ dungeon corridors.

Hard to say, since it didn’t last.

My innocence, and that of millions of others, ended when we compared the exciting items in the Johnson Smith comic book ads to the actual products when they (finally!) arrived.

If it is truly indestructible, it can be used for power storage. When solar power is available, spin it up to 10 billion rpm, then at night have it run a generator.

Never cared much for the word “indestructible”. Sounds a bit too much like “unsinkable”.