Indian head spotted in Google Earth -- natural or artificial

Here’s the link to Google Maps.

I’m well aware of how we like to see things we’re familar with in naturally occurring formations (that god-awful monkey face on Mars, for one). But…well…it really looks like an indian!

Anyone know anything about this? Alberta dopers?

The only thing I can find online is a discussion here. One of the users (who I sure won’t vouch for, but in two years no one seems to have disagreed with him - at least, not in my quick scan through the thread, I might have missed something) indicates that it’s an inverse “sculpture” - the bits that look like they’re coming “out” are really valleys and dips in. He supposes it’s naturally occuring.

It’s pretty freakin’ impressive, whatever its origin! Thanks for sharing it. Hopefully someone else will know more about it.

It looks like it would be in the badlands. I have never heard of this indian head before. If you do look at the surrounding terrain, you can see that the facial features are similar to the other valleys in the area. I’d just strike it up to an amazing coincidence.

Interesting. Natural, I’d say - among other things, the face is about 700 feet in length according to the scale. That’s a lot of effort to go unnoticed if somebody created it.

Bear in mind that the image you’re seeing was created on a specific date, at a specific time. At another time, it would look considerably different, in fact not at all looking like a face.

Indian head ? Why couldn’t it be a Dutch head ?

First, because there aren’t many Dutch near Medicine Hat, Alberta, and second, because the Dutch don’t wear big feathered headdresses.

That’s pretty cool. Reminds me of the Face on Mars - sheer coincidence, of course, and a result of everyone’s lifelong “training” in looking at human faces and differentiating one from another.

There are a few of these dotted about; it’s a fairly big planet - all sorts of things are possible.
Here is another one.

It is marked in Google Earth on the Google Earth Community Layer, as “Indian Head Penny” (Google Earth required), with no other explanation.

Things look different to different people. To me, this looks more like an ancient Egyptian, not an NDN. I really have never seen a Native American with a profile like that. Could it be that it being in North America has predisposed people to think of it as “Indian”?

It’s because many Americans who used to collect coins remember the “Indian Head Cent” that was minted from 1859 to 1909.

Slartibartfast did work in South America too?

there’s another one somewhere else that I saw a while ago, but I can’t find the link.

While we’re on the subject of aerial views, I don’t suppose anyone recognises from where this picture is taken- it’s from a Veolia advert currently appearing in the New Scientist.
It’s the one that looks like a “tree”
Unfortunately it’s not as clear as it shows in the magazine but it’s such a strange looking town/village. I’m assuming it’s a real place.
http://www.veoliaenvironnement.com/library/en/file/1/8A7880jI5o57b05aaSnJtSVk.swf

I don’t think that’s entirely real. I realise it’s the lamest thing to say about any picture on the web (and I’ll gladly retract it in the face of some evidence), but they look to me as if there has been some photoshoppery.

You call that a tree? That not a tree; now that’s a tree! (Google Earth required)

Looks like an iPod advertisement.

Whoops, too many windows open at once. Actually, it’s the OP’s indian head that looks like he’s wearing an iPod.

Pull out of the Indian’s mastoid process, till you come to 'Ol Freezing Cold Road. Take a right till you get to I’d Rather Not Be Here Highway. Take another right. Then, just past Weird Feature Lane on the left, you find another face-like something.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g47/blightsmite/AnotherFace.jpg