Indian Rights Legislation

I’m looking for information on major Indian rights legislation that has occurred throughout American history, as I’m not too familiar with its history.

Most stuff I’ve been able to find has been post 1970, but any information would be appreciated.

Try a search in your favorite search for “Dawes Severalty Act of 1887”. That was a major piece of legislation that affected American Indians at the time and still is important today.

A lot of civli-rights legislation is race-neutral. For example, the Civil Rights Act of 1968 applies to all races. Other than the Dawes Act, here are some important Indian-specific legislation from before 1970:

Northwest Territory Ordinance and Act 1787: made many promises to the Indians about their rights. These promises were very poorly enforced.

Trade and Intercourse Act 1790: prevented appropriation of Indian lands by states without Federal approval.

Indian Contract Act 1868: prohibited new treaties between the U.S. and Indian tribes but reaffirmed the validity of previous treaties.

Citizenship Act 1919: allowed some Indians to apply for U.S. citizenship without having to give up tribal membership

Citizenship Act 1924: gave citizenship to all Indians born in the U.S. It is estimated that two-thirds of Indians were already citizens.

Indian Claims Commission Act 1946: permitted tribes to sue the government for unfulfilled treaty obligations

I’m not sure if you are looking specifically for online information, but this book is a good source.

Indian Tribes As Sovereign Governments : A Sourcebook on Federal-Tribal History, Law, and Policy

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0939890070/o/qid=980832887/sr=8-1/ref=aps_sr_b_1_1/107-8107342-8923737

You might be able to find it at your local bookstore or library.