Infidelity: deeds or thoughts?

That’s an interesting perspective. Is love a voluntary choice? Can you choose to start or stop loving someone? If not, how can love be a betrayal?

#1 and #2 are different, but the difference is a miniscule ant-fart compared to the galactic tumult that distinguishes both of them from #3.

You’re splitting deck chairs, if I may be allowed to mix and blend metaphors.

Two or three could be depending on agreements laid down either verbally or by assumption (verbal is much better). Number one also could be, but I contend its such an automatic response that anyone who considers it such really needs to re-evaluate their criteria if they want to have a relationship with most men and quite a few women.

And all the indiscretions can be recovered from if the relationship is good enough. #3 might be stretching the point, but I could see some circumstances where it would be a one-shot deal that people could reconcile about.

#1 - yes
#3 - possibly
#2 - very hard, if not impossible

Someone I knew once said that looking once is as a result of being male, taking a second look is as a result of appreciation, but it’s when you have a third (and further) look (and the consequent thoughts) that you’re heading into lust/infidelity territory. This makes sense to me - I can’t really help noticing and appreciating (and even desiring) the voluptuous blonde on the bus, but I can do something about the thought that if I just lean forward a fraction and she turns a little to the left, I’ll get a good view of her cleavage…

Grim

Speaking as a woman, I’m just gonna pipe up and say that I have lustful thoughts all the dang time, and being in a reliationship doesn’t slow 'em down.