Inflatable Christmas decorations

The worst offender has to be the inflatable Homer ‘Santa’ Simpson. Nothing says Christmas like inflatable TV merchandise. Actually, scrub the sarcasm on that.

And don’t get me started on coloured lights…

As King of the World, I give you permission to do this, providing you first take care of all the inflatable dinosaurs and apes outside car dealerships.

Ooooh! I’m a big mean ol’ atheist, but I love colored lights! One of the prettiest displays I ever saw was in Secaucus, NJ, of all places, about 25 years ago. Smallish Evergreen bushes in someone’s front yard, each done up in a different color of non-blinking lights. One bush all in red, one blue, one green, etc. Breath-taking, in a good way.

You’re Jewish, right? So why don’t you go all out? Not on the Christmas angle or sticking out inflatible menorahs, but on the whole “Jews killed Jesus” angle! With lots of nasty implications that your decorations are soon going to make their way into the neighbors yards and start slaughtering their decorations. :smiley:

Not a bad idea but probably more appropriate for Easter.

Honestly, nothing I could do could kill the spirit of the real Christmas than Frosty the Snowman wearing sun glasses in a lawn chair and a ten foot tall Grinch.

Here’s what Hamish (who’s in BC visiting his family) wrote in his blog:

To me the most amazing thing is that I was at the hardware store and saw the Santa-chimney one, and it was seventy-five dollars!

But their service is Tyrannotastic and their prices are a Dar-winner!

The inflatables make me weep for today’s youth. In my day, my friends and I would have been all over a festive caroling party with enough rowdy carolers to disguise the one with the kitchen knife surreptiously sidling over to puncture each blown up monstrosity.

Well, you know I’m not a big fan of inflatables either. However, while destroying someone’s property may be aesthetically justifiable it is not ethically (or legally) justifiable. Esp since (one hopes) a lot of these folks do it for young kids who think that they’re beautiful.

After all, as a kid my favorite thing in the whole world were those aluminum trees with a rotating color wheel. I could look at that thing for hours.

Apparently JillGat isn’t the only one who doesn’t like inflatables.

Do you realize how long it took for me to realize you were talking about inflatable decorations and not Jillcat’s daughter?

Sorry, JillGat!

hah, that’s great.

And jeez, people, I’m kidding when I say I’m going to take a rifle to my neighbors’ “property.” Do I HAVE to use little smilie icons when I exaggerate on the message board now? I’m not even going to let my daughter stab the inflatables to death so chill, will ya.

I remember a couple of years ago a friend told me about a house in his neighborhood that displayed the nativity scene and Mary, Joseph, Jesus, the wise men, etc. were all Disney characters (Mickey, Donald, Pluto, etc.) In those days, that was as tasteless as it got. No more.

Originally Posted by if6was9

And yes, my daughter is engineering at its finest, too.

This is going to sound like I’m being sarcastic, but I’m not. I am SO with you on the inflatable snowmen/snowglobes/santas.

I hate LED bulbs. I hate mini bulbs.

I think everyone should use C9 bulbs.

And no blinking.

And no chasing.

Solid color combinations are preferable.

I agree with you, Runs, though I’m not a purist about the smaller bulbs. I do oppose “theme” color Christmas tree decorations and most especially themes in gift wrapping on the presents under the tree. It should be all mixed up.

My brother-in-law gets all Clark Griswold around Christmas and, while I might think it’s tacky that he has an 8’ tall plastic snowglobe with spinning reindeer carousel inside, I’m very sure that it was straight up shitty when someone decided to throw a big chunk of ice through it.

Merry fucking Christmas, huh?

I understand you were kidding, JillGat so this isn’t directed at you personally but rather at whichever fuckwit thought that destroying people’s Christmas decorations is good times.

So, you bought it, right?

I remember that thread well, my neighbors had the same Scooby Doo. I kept an eye on that thread month after month; you see, I wanted to reply to it when my neighbors finally took there Scooby Doo down. When they removed it in July, I just didn’t have the heart left to respond. OK, and my kids enjoyed it all that time, so I felt a little guilty complaining.

I’ve yet to see one of those things in-situ (I can only hope the entire city has caught a dose of taste), but the local hardware store has a bunch of them for sale. The inflatable Santa, the snow globe, and a Christmas ‘carousel’ where someone has managed to engineer a transparent gazebo structure containing three inflatable Christmasy figures that somehow rotate due to air flow.

I admire the last one for its mechanical qualities, but they do seem to be a waste of electricity and space (both on your lawn and in your basement the other 11 months of the year).

As soon as LED lights drop in price (and I figure out how I’m going to light them without an exterior outlet :dubious: ) then I’ll put some of them up, but the other stuff just screams “kitch!”