Inglourious Basterds trailer

Sorry, but I didn’t see anything thoughtful in that review. The guy is whining because Tarantino “doesn’t give the Nazis a fair shake?” What an idiot. Way to totally miss the point. This reviewer comes off like an supercillious, bitter, moralistic little asshole.

His whole thesis is that Jews hating Nazis is just as bad as Nazis hating Jews. What an asinine position.

The review sounds like it was written by someone who just doesn’t get over-the-top action movies and is a huge pussy. (Complaining about too much violence and gore.) I don’t think it’s thoughtful at all.

He also misses the point that it’s supposed to be pure Jewish revenge fantasy. Insisting that the movie should try to understand the Nazis is preposterous. This is not a movie about WWII. It’s a movie about what every Jew (and not just Jews) daydreamed about doing during WWII. The ending should have given him a big fucking clue about that.

I don’t think any of the Jews in this movie are supposed to be “nerdy,” “wimpy,” or “geeky.” They’re just Jews. I know people often associate Jews with being nerdy, wimpy and geeky, because these are the stereotypes that Hollywood pushes (mostly through Jewish writers and directors who, in mocking themselves, have foisted a really unpleasant stereotype on their own ethnicity) but it still bothers me to see comments like Omniscient said expressing shock that short-statured Jewish actors are not fit to play tough, dangerous soldiers.

For the past several hundred years, every country has spread propaganda that the Jews can’t fight. It’s a deeply ingrained stereotype, but it’s bullshit and always has been bullshit. It’s been proven wrong in every single major war. World War II was full of Jews fighting for basically every country involved in the war except Japan. Even Nazi Germany had a few (non-practicing) Jews in its army (some of them slipped through the cracks and others were given a pass because of partial non-Jewish ancestry.) Russia had about half a million Jews in its army fighting against Germany, including several generals. (Jews comprised a large portion of the Russian army even in the days of the Czars when they would be conscripted for outrageously long terms, like 25 years.)

About the issue of physical size, there is absolutely no evidence that soldiers who are physically large are any better than soldiers who are physically small. I went to high school with a guy who is currently a Navy SEAL and he’s only about 5’6. The skills involved in being an effective soldier have nothing to do with somebody’s height or weight.

Wow. I have a one-word review of that review, a review which contains this glourious phrase: “this anti-Semitic but nonetheless noble fellow”–and that word is FAIL.

I have not seen this movie yet. And while I consider Pulp Fiction one of the greatest accomplishments of recentish cinema, I think of Quentin Tarantino as a highly uneven, embarrassingly self-indulgent hack, most of the time. But this review has, A), decided me that I really want to see this movie, and B**) that I well never read another one of this retarded douchebag’s reviews. Except maybe for laughs.

Hey, maybe the Nazi officer is a cultured intelligent fellow.

I’m nevertheless okay with painting the wall with his brains.

Thought this got posted but it didn’t.

What the Army got in WWII: “1943 composite inductee = 68.11”, 150.75 lbs, 25 yrs old"

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/academic/history/marshall/military/mil_hist_inst/m/medic.asc

GI Joe was not “GI Joe.”

ETA: Oh, and he usually lost weight during Basic Training.

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA…that’s hilarious!!! That would be like the Three Stooges in a Masterpiece Theatre piece!

I was speaking of his artistic record, not his personal life. He’s only ever made one movie for grown-ups, and that was Jackie Brown.

When I first saw the trailer way back I had no interest. I like Pitt but the accent and the image of him sticking out his lower lip didn’t work for me.

I’ve seen several more clips since and I think this will be worth watching. I haven’t seen a movie in weeks and weeks - this has been a weak summer IMO - so I’m looking forward to it.

I saw the trailer yesterday (The movie is released here next week) and I have to say I wasn’t impressed and got the horrible feeling the trailer showed the best parts and had somehow spoiled vital plot points.

Having said that, I do like Tarantino films so I’ll be going to see it regardless… :wink:

This thread is awfully quiet, for a Tarantino film…

I’ll likely see it tomorrow…

Saw it at the midnite showing last night. Got some issues with it, but it’s not a bad film.

Probably because there is another thread, with open spoilers, discussing it as well.