Injust red light camera fine

I am wondering about the hilarity that would have ensued if there had been a car to your wife’s left who had the last minute decided to make a right from the straight ahead lane and collided with your wife.
He would claim your wife had a red light.
She would claim he was in the wrong lane.
Whose fault is it John?
See what happens when you don’t follow the rules?

If the guy was looking at the right-lane traffic light it would say that he should be stopped. Otherwise one of them would slow down and let the other one pass.

I’m saying that I don’t think she went through a red light though she is guilty of something.

Like I’ve been saying I still think she should be guilty of something but not going through a red light.

I can’t answer for where you are but here she would be guilty of Failure to Follow a Marked Turning Course and Disregard of Signs, Signals and Directions. Two separate statutes.

When we had red light cameras it was a civil penalty not a traffic violation. All the different possible types of red light violations such as blowing through the light or failure to stop before turning right on red were lumped into the one civil statute.

Also the penalty should be greater if it was not clear or safe… e.g. if someone went through a red light in a completely dangerous way.

Not aiming this specifically at you or your wife, JohnClay, but this is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. More and more often, it seems, I see someone make a dangerous lane change, stop dead in the middle travel lane, cut across multiple lanes, etc. because they were about to miss their turn/exit. Look, once you screw up like that, just suck it up, go on down the road and turn around at the first safe place. Yes, it cost may you a valuable minutes but at least you don’t endanger your life and those of everyone else on the road!

She should be able to pay the fine no problem with the vast amounts of money you’ve made selling those toys you purchased with cash you stole from her.

I think this sentence tells us just about all we need to know regarding your level of obliviousness and your need to rationalize this incident.

Everyone has such a clear idea of right and wrong when it’s academic, but as soon as it’s going to cost them $353 Australian dollars, then they start to perform incredibly weird mental gymnastics.

“Hey, what if someone did Activity X?”
“Sounds like they ran a red light”
“Well, it was your wife”
“Oh, um, did she run the red light in a dangerous way…?”

She did go through a red light, and you need to be incredibly stupid to think otherwise.

Huh?

He posted one of his trademark rambling barely comprehensible threads a while back about how he “borrowed” a bunch of money from his wife’s account to buy figurines off eBay, because he just KNEW he could make a huge profit from them, no matter what anyone said.

Exactly. A person who doesn’t know how to get back on track if they accidentally find themselves in the wrong lane has no business driving.

(Good thing they don’t live in Jersey. Could you imagine them trying to navigate jughandles? Oy vey.)

LOL.

except she did do just that. the lane she was in had a red light. she proceeded into the intersection despite that red light. therefore she went through a red light.

So you’re saying all red traffic light offences are equal? E.g. Stopping over the white line vs the most dangerous offence imaginable?

I’ve repaid that account which is temporarily mine while her brother is making car payments for her old car. BTW I paid half of her fine and would have paid it all if I could take it to court. I sold the Lego figures to eBay. I bought them from bricklink.com not eBay.

People like palooka and my dad didn’t think so.

BTW people can still try to make a legal defense even if they are technically wrong e.g. getting away with a speeding ticket