Instant G.A.S. (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome): I'm bit!

It gets worse.

After a life of GAS, one day I got the bright idea to try and build a guitar. Once I started building them, the GAS remained but I added TAS (tool acquisition syndrome) and WAS (wood acquisition syndrome).

I still get the GAS baaaad for amps, though. At one point, I was buying amps and flipping them before FedEx even dropped them off. I’ve found that the only amps that really stick for good are ones that are either 1) so obscure as to be immovable, like my custom-built MarTone (John Martin from Philly) which is a tweaked Matchless Clubman-clone in a Clark small-box Marshall head cab or 2) broken, like my Tony Bruno Underground 30. I’ve been meaning to take this one to Schroeder to fix but I don’t have the heart; there’s a crazy oscillation once you get 3/4 of the way up the dial but it sounds sooo freaking sweet under there that I’m afraid the cure will be worse than the disease.

Oh dude - welcome to a fellow dweller of the Dark Side of GAS. I haven’t seen you in the guitar threads, but you sure know the lingo and you have a broken Underground 30 that you haven’t repaired?? What’s wrong with you man?! :wink: My everyday amp is a Bruno Tweedy 18 Tweed Deluxe clone with a Celestion Blue. For those unafflicted, Tony Bruno makes both excellent replica amps - meaning he basically does his interpretation of a well-known amp circuit - or he builds his own, like the infamous Underground 30 which combines parts of Fender and Vox circuits - it has the reputation of being one of those “only amps that matter” amongst afficionados. I have no idea why (see the tube vs. transistor amp thread also on the board right now - electronics is NOT my forte), but his stuff just stands out. Did you get it at UltraSound in NYC? I discoverd Brunos through Gene and bought my Cornford Hellcat there. I’d love to hear more about the MarTone - so its running EL84’s and he bought an amp box off Clark (another small builder famous for his Fender Tweed replicas - I am using one of his attenuators to get the loudness of my Tweedy down to “okay, I will let you play it in the house, honey” levels).

What type of music do you play and what guitars do you favor? I also assume you’ve seen the Guitar Building threads that **BigShooter **and I have started - he’s building; I am more “assembling” but we are clearly snakebit by the Parts-o-Caster bug. I wouldn’t go near amp kits, but sometimes I get the itch to dig into a Marshall 18-watt Bluesbreaker kit and see what I could do…

Hang on…gotta get a drool rag…

Okay. I don’t play the violin. I barely even play the guitar (but that didn’t stop me from buying a couple of cool ones anyway). But ever since I first saw thisbeing played at a Trans-Siberian Orchestra concert, I’ve wanted one.

Not enough to buy it, of course. That would be insane, given the price (the cheaper ones are in the $2500 range). But every time I see one, I get a little drooly and start thinking, “It wouldn’t be that hard to learn to play it…right…right??”

So I guess that counts as GAS, right?

Totally. Covers all the bases of that Halua I am drooling for…

Thanks, thanks alot - no, really - thanks.

I played Violin all thru middle and high school - traded it for my first guitar that I never learned to play - now I can get one back…

This is all I needed…

Thanks.

your work is done here, winterhawk11

:smiley:

Sorry to necro this thread, but I’ve gone to see TSO again this week, and I’ve got the bug again. Help me! I still don’t know how to play the violin. I don’t have time to learn. I probably wouldn’t even be any good at it if I tried.

But…

But…

drooooooollll