This happened several years ago now, but I remembered it when looking at some photos the other day, from the city where we lived in at the time. I’ve never quite understood this.
A nearby beer/wine store had one of those “make your own six-pack” sections, where a shelf has a bunch of individual beers, ciders, etc. and you fill a six-pack holder with your own choice of items.
I noticed a single bottle of Woodchuck cider that was placed on another shelf close by, with some regular packs of other beverages. I figured that another customer had probably picked it up from the “make your own” section and carelessly set it down there, instead of taking two or three more steps to put it back in the right place. I’ve worked enough retail jobs to know that people do this! My husband and I liked that cider sometimes, so I added it to my six-pack.
At the register, the cider doesn’t scan (I think, at this store, all of the bottles had to be scanned, probably for inventory, and then a “make your own” price was applied to the total). The employee stares at it and wants to know where I got it from.
I told her that it was near the shelf with all the other drinks, and she gave me a suspicious stare, then asked me to show her exactly where it was. She followed me back to the make-your-own section and I point out the spot on the nearby shelf where I found it. I mentioned how I thought someone just picked it up and set it down there.
She looks very irritated, does not seem to believe me, but goes back to the register and charges me the price for the six-pack. Continues to glare at me as I leave.
My husband and I went back about two weeks later. The same employee is there and she stares at us, then asks me, “So, how was that Woodchuck cider?” in a very obvious “Thought you got away with it, huh?” or “You don’t fool me” type of tone.
Any thoughts on what she suspected me of doing? I just saw a single bottle of Woodchuck and thought it was part of the make-your-own choices. I chose that, five other drinks, and paid for them. We had been to this store before with no issues.