Interesting and unusual Wikipedia articles

Oh yeah, this is ALL I need… Good thing school is out for the summer and I have lots of free time now. These sites are F-U-N!!

Not that unusual, aside from the creeping horror value, but an old favorite of mine, S.A. Andree’s Arctic Balloon Expedition of 1897.

(Suffice it to say, mistakes were made)

I would love to read a book about that. Do you know if any have been written?

This one’s linked from the above-mentioned “unusual articles” page, but it’s always good for a laugh: Metal Umlauts.

I haven’t read it myself, but the article mentions a “semi-documentary” novel, The Flight of the Eagle, by Sundman, 1967. Apparently it was made into an Oscar nominated movie (!), but no version with English subtitles exists, let alone on DVD.

'nother odd, if not weird listing; the Africa flight of LZ104/L.59, which went from a one-way resupply flight to Lettow-Vorbeck’s forces in Africa, to a 4,200 mile record-setting round trip after receiving a mistaken abort message.

The Mary Celeste. A ship that was found floating, abandonded, in the Atlantic Ocean. No crew members were aboard, the ship was in sound condition, the weather was good, and all the cargo and the crew members’ personal belongings were intact. There were no apparent signs of struggle.