Wikipedia - Random Article. Has it led you down an interesting line of learning?

Or have you got into a subject by coming across it on wiki random?

Here is the link Revelation Nausea - Wikipedia
I got a little into learning the history of communism from it.

On the whole a lot of the articles are obscure, but I’m hoping I’ll find some gems eventually.

I had never used that before, until you posted. I went through a few clicks, and just got to Religious reaction to the Reconciliation, Tolerance, and Unity Bill (Fiji). Fun!

Susan

I use it on occasion. I haven’t gotten any grand revelations from it, but I have learned a few interesting bits of trivia from it.

I do it ever now and then,was even gonn start a weekly random wiki thread here at the dope for kicks,never did though.

I can lose an afternoon to Wikipedia.

My god yes! When I’m sitting at work, bored (and no new threads on the SDMB catch my eye) I’ll click it once and follow internal links. Great way to learn some useless (and sometimes useful) trivia.

And that’s all I have to say on that subject.

I used to use it quite a bit a few years ago when I was bored. It did lead down interesting paths. Now that wikipedia has grown so big and so many of the articles are stubs and as you said obscure, i find the random article feature a lot less useful.

I only use the random function to play Wikington Crescent

Just an afternoon?

I can lose a good week on there.
I admire your restraint.

Quitting heroin would be easier.

Many, many times.

Get off my lawn, you damn kids! One of my favorite childhood distractions was browsing the World Book. I’d read something in one, get intrigued by something that I would have to look up in another volume, etc.

One of the things I’ve lamented as a parent is that my son hasn’t been able to do that. He hasn’t expressed much interest in browsing our 11th edition Encyclopaedia Brittanica. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll have to show him the Wikipedia random link thing. I’m in favor of anything that promotes non-linear thinking.

Non linear thinking…huh…back in MY DAY they called it Short Attention Span.

get off mah lawn!

Actually, the random link thingy does nothing for me.

What I will do is open up a Wikipedia article on some subject that I have a mild interest in, then follow the interesting links to new and fascinating places. And lose hours that way…

Me too. And when I begin editing the articles for grammar, or adding some info that I think might be useful or interesting to others, watch out. The hours can fly by.

Wouldn’t you know it? I clicked on the link and got this. :dubious: