Interesting answers to my history bonus questions...

Posted this earlier.

Because England is more important than Spain, or Virginia is more important than Florida? What was the first permanent French settlement in the U.S.? How about the Dutch? It seems odd to me to put more importance on English settlements.

And that you were looking for a settlement in what later became the United States? :wink:

Sad story: Last year, at my wife’s school (she teacher middle school) they had a trivia game during a staff development day. One of the questions was “how many presidents have been impeached?” The official answer–developed by a team of educators–was 3; they included Nixon. My wife (a music teacher), argued her team into the correct answer (then successfully argued with the answer givers). The scariest part is that one of her team members agreed with her about the number, but thought that the two were Johnson and Nixon, because “Clinton wasn’t removed from office.” The man is a social studies teacher.

Hrm. Can someone fight my ignorance? I didn’t think Clinton was actually impeached. If he wasn’t removed from office, what was the point?

Impeachment is putting someone on trial. Conviction of an impeachment leads to removal from office.

I thought Nixon was put on trial. Or was that just a congressional hearing?

Impeachment and Senate trial respectively are analogous to grand jury indictment for a felony and superior court trial. You can’t have the second without the first preceding it, but having gotten the first in place does not guarantee a conviction in the second.

Ah, OK. Thanks.

It’s just a question man, relax. I don’t think the fact that I asked the question that way put any more importance on the English settlements at all–it’s just the question that came to mind at the time.

I find it interesting that the point of my thread has pretty much been ignored while most of you that have responded have taken instead to questioning everything from my motives, to the answers, and the questions themselves. I apologize for the grammatical errors I made when I posted–but I’m pretty sure that most of you understood what I was attempting to start a discussion about.

As I said before, I’m trying to show these students that it’s good to have knowledge in all areas. If I can get even one of these kids to become more interested in history or social studies so they can score “bonus” points for their review team at the end of my class twice a month–then I consider it to be well worth the time.

FWIW, RYBTP, the sixth grade me would’ve LOVED the idea of being in a math class and having that kind of a “quiz”. I would have thought you were my kind of teacher. And actually I did have a handful of teachers through the years that did that kind of stuff, and I have fond memories of that.

Most people who had my 7th grade history teacher probably would have been able to answer that…she made us all learn to sing the presidents in order to the tune of Yankee Doodle Dandy. Seventeen years later, I can still do it. (Although my song doesn’t end quite right, as it only goes to Bush Sr., who was president when I was in 7th grade. Fortunately, I can remember the presidents since then all by myself.)

It really impresses at parties.

Originally Posted by ChiefScott
“…Finally, after a few more attempts, my son was called upon.
Then he said he thought that if he had gotten it wrong he knew he’d have had to listen to me tell the whole story about how Johnson escaped the wrath of the Democrats by 1 vote and that he didn’t want to here that story again…”

Originally posted by Ignatz: Here, here!