Interesting “recipes”(Actually, there is a only a difference of 1 or 2 ingredients.)

Sometimes, I make chocolate chip cookies. I use the recipe straight off of the back of a bag of Chocolate chips. Thing is, though, I brew tea using dried thyme leaves, and use the tea, rather then using ordinary water. I got the idea after reading Italian cookie recipes involving herbs. Personally, I think it makes the dough taste much more savory.

Also, when I make brownies, I substitute Grand Mariner for water. Gives it so much more of a rich flavor.

Note: This only works with Fudge-like brownies. Trying to make cake-like brownies is like trying to empty the ocean with a thimble.

Anyone else want to share idea for unique “recipes”?

The Standard OP Disclaimers Apply (TSOPDA)

I’m always hearing about funny ingredients to brownies…

Okay, first, a couple of questions:

1. Water in chocolate chip cookies? Huh? Standard recipe I’ve always seen has eggs, butter, brown sugar, white sugar, vanilla, flour, baking soda, salt, chocolate chips, and optional nutmeats. I’ve never seen one with water.
  2. Why oh why do you want savory dough in a chocolate chip cookie?

That said, it sounds intriguing.

My change to chocolate chip cookies is to grind about 1/4 cup coffee beans until they’re a fine powder (i.e., Turkish ground), and add this powder to the creamed butter. The cookies come out with an intensely heady coffee aroma and flavor, and pack a significant caffeine kick.

Daniel

This is a great recipe for scones. It’s very simple and great for those times when you’ve got people dropping by for coffee.

Ingredients:
3 cups of self-raising flour
1 cup of cream
1 cup of lemonade (i.e. the carbonated stuff out of a can)
pinch of salt

Mix all of the ingredients together. The mixture may be a little sticky, so just sprinkle some extra flour over it. Knead the dough lightly until it is smooth and then roll it out to a height of about 2-3cm. Cut the dough into scone shapes by using an upturned drinking glass. Place the scone shapes onto a greased tray and bake in a hot oven (around 210C) for 12-15 minutes, or until they’re just turning brown. Remove the scones and place them on a cooling rack. Or, better still, eat them immediately, hot and fluffy, with lashings of butter, jam and whipped cream.

Maybe I was not paying attention, and used the high-altitude recipe, available here. Or maybe it was this one. I don’t know. I no longer have the bag.

In my view, the dough is merely an interesting difference in textures between bites of chocolate. By flavoring the water used, I actually taste the dough, and do not mind if there is no even distribution of chips. Also, I just did a web search to see if I am using the term correctly. Apparently, I am.

Thank you, your recipe doesn’t sound half bad either. Also, Cunctator, that sounds like a nice recipe. Thank you. However, since I haven’t made scones before, I don’t understand. Which ingredient is different from normal?

Also, I posted this thread, then let it drift off to the second, or maybe third page. I am surprised, and happy to see people look back there. :smiley:

When cooking rice, toss a bullion cube (chicken or beef) in while bringing to a boil.
This adds extra flavor.
Also, when cooking spaghetti put some Italian seasoning (or just oregeno) in the water when boiling. Yummy!

The addition of lemonade is rather quirky. I’ve never seen that in any other recipe for scones.

I’ve done rice with a finely cut hot pepper or some herbs in the water. It isn’t necessary to add flavour if you’ve got Basmati or Jasmine rice, but it does help if you only have some generic kind.

Oatmeal cookies usually call for walnuts and raisins, but I use slivered almonds with crystalized ginger and maybe some candied peel. (Of course I replace the shortening with butter for a softer cookie, and use brown sugar instead of white just because I like it better.)

A Denver omelette is made with ham, green sweet pepper, and onion, and is served on toast. I usually have salami with red sweet pepper or maybe a jalapeno, and sometimes a clove of garlic instead of onion. It goes well on English muffins.

Of course recipes are only suggestions and may be varied however you like, except for baked goods. To get the texture you need to maintain the proportions of flour, fat, fluid, and foamy stuff (yeast, baking soda, etc.)

I do believe that outside the U.S. (as in the U.K., Australia and NZ), lemonade means what we think of as lemon-lime carbonated beverage (think 7-Up).