International Day of Action for South Korean Dogs and Cats

A common misconception. It actually tastes like pork.

People right here in the United States protest our treatment of cows. You don’t have to outsource it to India!

And substantial numbers of people in South Korea and China object to eating dog.

I love animals, I even tip over cockroachs stuck on their back. I loved each and every dog I’ve kept.

I’d be up for trying dogmeat. I’ve already had roo and croc.

I’d draw the line at beated dog, Foie gras or veal. There’s culinary curiousity and their excessive cruelty.

In Germany and Austria cats are still sometimes referred to as “Dachhasen” (lit. “roof hares”).

A skinned cat with the tail and feet removed looks (and apparently tastes) just like rabbit or hare.

They were a popular food source during hard times (e.g. Siege of Vienna).

This. I have two criteria when it comes to whether an animal can be eaten:

1. The species is not endangered.
  2. The animal was not mistreated.

If you pass both of those then eat away.

But are you kind enough to throw a drowning attorney or politician a rock?

Ignoring the rather blatant racism, have you ever even been to Korea?

On another note, I’d quibble with those who state that Koreans don’t eat cats. While that’s pretty much true, my understanding is that in some of the more rural areas, they boil them alive and use the slurry as some sort of ‘tonic’, but that’s still certainly not mainstream. In Gwanghwamun I can eat at KFC, Paris Baguette, a few different Korean BBQ places, at a great pho resteraunt… if I walk a bit to Soedaemun I can get pizza (often with corn on it, WTF???) and McDonalds and “American” hot dogs. I’ve got burgers in Gonegdeok, hot wings, taco bell, Indian food and falaffel in Itaewon and sushi at the World Cup Stadium. But I haven’t seen dog, or cat-juice on the menu anywhere.

I’m sure it happens out of the eyes of foreigners, and there are still some older folks who’ll practice such culinary habits (made especially complicated by Korea’s Confucian culture), and of course I oppose it, but I’m not sure it’s really all that common of a practice from what I’ve heard.

Now, belief in Fan Death, on the other hand…

Shut the fuck up, you fucking racist.

Thread drift:

I think someone at some earlier point of Pizza introduction to Korea thought mistakenly putting corn on the pizza is very western thing then I realized they like it and stuck… mahbe it’s an authentic Italian thing as I hear many Italians go to Korea to open authentic Italian Pizza joints in Korea.

Have you tried pizza with Kimchi yet? I’ve heard of it but never had an opportunity to try yet. I hear you can get it in Chicago.

To be honest, the rare occasions on which I’ve eaten pizza I’ve done so to kill a bit of homesickness. So peperoni is the way for me to go. Besides, I can get just about everything else with kimchi on it anyways :wink:

Warning issued for personal insults.

For this:

Warning issued for trolling.

Soulless? WTH? That’s a pretty strong condemnation.:frowning:

It doesn’t make sense, either. Gingers are the soulless ones, and I’ve never seen a Korean with red hair.

Northeastern most border of Korea (North Korea) is connected to Russia. :wink:

I am a Korean, and cat eating in Korea is really, really rare - if it happens at all nowadays. They may still do it in the countryside, but even then I imagine it’s still not a common practice. For the most part, Koreans would consider cat eating pretty weird.

As for ntlwng, he or she has been a teacher in Korea, according to a post in another thread. There are plenty of ex-pats who come to Korea and leave rather bitter for one reason or another.

Wait a minute. How do you know what pork tastes like?

Yeah, that’s what I said.

Well, the culture-shock can be pretty extreme in certain respects and the hagwon system doesn’t always put Korea’s best foot forward when it comes to making a first impression. But… meh, there’s already a Moderator warning on the field for trolling, no real reason to discuss it.

I was supporting your statement. :slight_smile: Sorry if that wasn’t clear.

Sorry about that. Really gotta make sure what forum I’m in.