Interpreting "Hang On, Sloopy"

Wikipedia has an explanation for the name new to me.

Doesn’t seem that likely to me. Wes Farrell and Bert Berns wrote lots of hits individually.

But do you know who wrote the original for “Come on Down to My Boat”? Wes Ferrell.

Based on the McCoy’s album cover, Sloopy was a badly-drawn girl (“I’m just drawn that way”) with a weird polyhedral nose. She apparently got the nose from her alcoholic, unshaven father.

I always thought it was kinda weird. Of course, when I first heard the song as a kid I thought they were singing “Hang on Snoopy”, which is even weirder.

She’s not buxom at all; she’s quite thin. And she really needs a bra.

OK, I mean, she has very noticeable breasts. (To me, “buxom” simply means “full-bosomed,” as in definition 1 here. Not necessarily plump. Or if you scroll down to the British definition, it’s definition 2 there. Perhaps it’s a UK vs US thing. Are you from the UK?)

This is why I love the SDMB. I make a passing reference to the girl in the video and now those words are being hashed out :wink:

My only point was that she was shakin’ it and has enough to shake to get a person’s attention. And I was trying to do so in a way that didn’t feel skeevy.

Within that context she’s plenty curvy enough.

Google image results for buxom -lipstick -mascara. (Buxom is a brand name and messes up the results.) An amazing variety of body types pictured.

No, American, but I was only ever familiar with def. 2. That’s why I was surprised when I saw her. No big whoop. :slight_smile: I think we can all agree that no matter what you call it, she’s got a nice rack.

Pretty hot, no doubt.

Thank you for that laugh.

The original video was a promo for the Rick Derringer 1975 remake of Hang On Sloopy .

People have posted various edits and added different audio from the original video.

The dancer in the Hang On Sloopy Video is Lisa Leonard Dalton.

Liz Brewer was never married to Rick Derringer. Liz Agriss married Rick Derringer but was not the dancer in the video. Rick did not know the dancer.

The video was made for the 1975 remake of Hang On Sloopy by Rick Derringer as a solo artist.

The most popular version of the song was in 1965 by The McCoys with Rick Derringer lead singer.

More info on Sloopy Girl Lisa Leonard Dalton:

see sloopy-wives-fact-and-fiction

at pugetsound.media

Of course it didn’t work out that way, even though they owned the business.

Joel Selvin wrote an excellent biography Here Comes the Night: The Dark Soul of Bert Berns and the Dirty Business of Rhythm and Blues, that covers Berns’ career from the early days of r&b through the Beatles era, stopping with his early death in 1967. The book covers the small production companies that were pretty much all the rock business before the mainstream giants took over when the big money appeared. And it gives awesome details into the way music was made, recording sessions of motley groups of pros backing whatever singers they threw into the studio. Selwin pulls no punches on the the business being mobbed-up in New York, and the reality that those singers got screwed over seven ways from Sunday.

Burns was writer and/or producer for a huge number of classic rock songs (see Wikipedia) and should be a lot more famous than he is.

That video link don’t work no more. Darn.

I assume this is the same video. It’s slightly racy, so I broke the preview.

MaCoys - Hang on sloopy.mpg - YouTube

The last thing she needs is a bra.
They all should have been burned years ago.

I had forgotten all about this thread, and then quite by chance I stumbled upon this video. It’s an interview with Rick giving his thoughts on who wrote the song:

Regarding the dancing girl, This girl might have lifted a move or two from her:

I was surprised to see a vibraphone in the band. Not something I usually associate with Rock music.

That looks like a marimba. If you’re wondering why you’re not hearing it in the video, that’s because someone potted in the McCoys version to the 1975 Rick Derringer solo version.
Here’s the actual sound that goes with the video, given a slightly Carribean twist and you can hear the marimba though obviously not played by the guy on stage.

Of course we purists like the old version better, but the newer one is not without its charms.

Sloopy history is convoluted.

Well, that answers that. I like the McCoys sound better. The sound on this version was rather shrill, although I don’t know if that’s them or just the recording.

The McCoys version sounds a lot more like Summer Nights from Grease than the Derringer version does.

Completely different, beyond that both end up being good dancing. The Groovy Dancing Girl is clearly highly choreographed and practiced, and if she were to do a second performance, it would be exactly the same moves in the same sequence. And I suspect that there are a lot of video editing tricks in there, too (maybe a deliberately-low framerate to make the moves more abrupt?). But what’s so appealing about “Sloopy” in the video is how spontaneous her dancing is (or at least, appears to be). She’s not following a set plan; she’s just moving as the mood takes her. The only “choreography” or planning in it is that she in fact takes off her hat and lets her hair down when the lyrics are saying “Let your hair down”.