Interview question: What's your greatest weakness?

This thread got me thinking… I’m looking for a job again, and face-to-face interviews have so far not been my strong suit. My main problem before was lack of confidence, but I think I have that taken care of. My other problem (which often feeds the confidence problem) is that I’ve never been able to come up with a satisfactory (to me, anyway) answer to this stupid question that always seems to come up at interviews.

So, I’m turning to my fellow dopers for help on this one: Just what are interviewers looking for when they ask “What’s your greatest weakness?” I can never think of anything that doesn’t either make me sound like a conceited jerk or completely unemployable (“I had some serious rage issues, but they’re almost under control now.”)

Since I can see the direction this will probably take, I’ll split it into two questions: What kind of answer would you give in a real interview, and what kind of answer would you really like to give? :smiley:

Thanks,

–sublight.

It has to be something, but not necessarily job-related. You can say “I don’t get involved in organizing birthday celebrations, etc. I never seem to have time to do my share.”

My favorite was :
I don’t interview well.

If they press you for a more work related one, how about “I can be a bit of a perfectionist at times, but always try to keep over all production issues in mind”

As an interviewer, I’m leery of any answers along the lines of “I’m perfect and have no faults” or ones that lead me to think the person won’t get along with others.

I figure (usually) that either you know the essential job tasks or they can be taught easily. What I’m more concerned about is ‘will this person get along with everyone or are they going to be a pain in my ass’.
Getting along with co workers is a difficult thing to teach some one, and IME (working with ex offenders with employment issues) is often the reason folks get fired (right after the basic doesn’t show up for work)

Real answer:

Although I can solve a great many problems with little support and less training, I’ve never worked as part of a team. I’ve always been a lone cowboy, riding the range, roping strays and fixing fences.

Wishful think answer:

Kryptonite.

(a friend of mine once gave that very answer to that very question. Although the interviewer loved it, he didn’t get the job.)

Give a real weakness, not something obviously trivial – i.e. poor timekeeping is one people always use, and being a perfectionist has to be phrased carefully.

I either go for “I can get quite frustrated if I don’t feel I’m getting the support I need to do my job” or “I’m always working on my time management to make sure I don’t take on more than I can handle, and can make sure I’m prioritising all my tasks properly”.

Real answer: I get bored veeeeeeeeery easily, and I don’t like being forced to work overtime due to management trying to pile on more work to look good.

The most common suggestion as to handle the question I’ve heard is to turn a strength into a weakness; as in, “When I am working on a problem, I just can’t seem to let it go. I can’t eat or sleep until it is solved.” :rolleyes: My problem is I can’t say that without rolling my eyes.

I had gone throught several interviews at one company and on my last interview at this company, a manager asked me about my worst weakness. I told him I didn’t like the question and why. They did not call me back.

What would I like to say?

Kryptonite. . . Oh, yeah, and I have trouble seeing through lead.

::I just saw that Ethilrist already gave Kryptonite when I did preview::

The most common suggestion as to handle the question I’ve heard is to turn a strength into a weakness; as in, “When I am working on a problem, I just can’t seem to let it go. I can’t eat or sleep until it is solved.” :rolleyes: My problem is I can’t say that without rolling my eyes.

I had gone throught several interviews at one company and on my last interview at this company, a manager asked me about my worst weakness. I told him I didn’t like the question and why. They did not call me back.

What would I like to say?

Kryptonite. . . Oh, yeah, and I have trouble seeing through lead.

::I just saw that Ethilrist already gave Kryptonite when I did preview::

Thanks, everyone, for the fast responses. This has been really helpful. Like Dr. Matrix said (twice), the problem with using the “positive fault” type of answer is that I can feel the smirk creeping up my face as I say it.

I like the kryptonite answer, but I was thinking more of leaning over to the interviewer and whispering “I see dead people.”

–sublight.

I don’t bear fools lightly – show me an idiot spewing idiotic assertions and I’m sorely tempted to correct them. If I’m in a good mood, I won’t use the word “idiot”, “stupid”, or “moron” to describe them.

How about…

Interview answer: “Liking my job. Everyone else seems to not like theirs, so I must be doing something wrong.”

Real answer: “I give my penis waaaaaaayyy to much control.”

Well it sertainly isnot by grammer skils just ask anybody at the SDMB they’ill tell ya. :smiley:

God, this is great! I’m right in the middle of a Trainspotting flashback- Spud’s job interview, where he gives the mother of all replies to that question!

:smiley:

Gazing frankly into interviewers face:

I tend to under-utilize my resources and take on tasks personally

I thought about using the kryptonite thing about 4 years ago. Imagine how many people have used it in that time. I would stray from that answer - too contrived. I’d also imagine that every position open has heard an answer along the lines of “I take on too much responsibility”, or “I’m a perfectionist.”

If the actual wording was “the greatest weakness”, I’d focus on the word “greatest”. Say something along the lines of “I don’t work well with introverts, so groups that I usually surround myself with tend to be outgoing and go-getters”. Tell them a true weakness that you actually have (so that you can use examples), and them tell them a positive by-product of that. Its not turning a weakness into a strength, its looking optimistically at a weakness, admitting to it, giving an example of it, and still show the silver lining of it.

But then, that’s just my opinion.

Giving Smart Ass answers to stupid interview questions. :slight_smile:

I agree with Connor’s assesment of the question. Give them a real weakness but find something positive about it.

I tend to use the following two answers:

“Sometimes I push myself too hard or become immersed in my work. Although this can sometimes be a little stressful, I usually find that it increases my productivity and helps me make more of a contribution to the whole company.”

or, “I tend to always look for a better way to do things, which sometimes upsets the current status quo. Although it might ruffle a few feathers, I think it’s better to try to save the company money or streamline a process in order to improve the overall performance of the company.”

Both have worked well for me in the past. In fact, in the 3 years I’ve been with my company, I’ve received 4 promotions and I had to interview for all 4.
What I’d like to say: My greatest weakness? I don’t have any weaknesses, you buffoon. I know I’m smarter than you, and if you hire me I will likely take your job.

Firmly in the category of things I’d LIKE to say:

“I’d have to say crack. Sure, I’ve dabbled with smack and weed, but nothing beats crack!”

“Sometimes I’m unable to control my rage when people asked my stupid questions in interviews. Of course the prison counseling has helped that.”

“Two words: body odor.”

“The clinical term is innappropriate urination, but that makes it sound so much worse than it is.”

In fact, if I were filthy rich and set for life, I think I’d set up interviews just so I could use answers like this. I know I’d enjoy it, and for the interviewers it would probably make a nice break in the day.

Say something that won’t burn you later, but will actually help:

“I guess I’m too willing to let other people talk me into taking on parts of their assignments.”

Then, when you’re late on a project, you have already given the excuse and they believe you.

“I tend to be indecisive.” (long pause, confused look on face).
“No, wait, can I change that answer?”

I can’t speak for every employer of course, but I’ll tell you what I look for when I ask this question. First, I’ll tell you the absolute wrong answer is some bullshit positive thing, like “I work so hard I have problem sleeping” or something. I wouldn’t say that answering this question wrong is death, but it certainly gives you some negative points.

When I ask the question, I want to hear two things: a) an honest admission of some weakness, and b) a plan of how you deal with it. Having a weakness is not a bad thing; everybody has them. But not being aware of your weaknesses is a grave weakness. Being aware of your weaknesses is the first step in dealing with them. The second step is having a way to compensate.

Never mind the interview or the job. In life, do you know your own weaknesses? Do you take steps to compensate for them? If you learn about them and find solutions, you’ll be a better person, and when an interviewer asks you this question that’s what they really want to know.