Interview Thank You Letter

I’m not sure.

I think it kind of depends on what position you’re applying for (In-your-face cutting edge marketer? Personal Assistant for wealthy single male? Rap Video director? Stripper? )

I’m with Hedda Rosa - I would send an email. It’s certainly an acceptable format these days. And I don’t know what kind of job you’re applying for, but I work as a paralegal and I’ve seen attorneys let snail mail pile up in their mailboxes for days on end, especially if it’s not something essential. Their blackberries, on the other hand, are practically glued to their foreheads.

Keep it short and polite. Don’t stress out about it too much. Ultimately it’s the strength of your qualifications and your interview that will get you the job, not the thank you letter.

Moral of the story: make sure your interviewer loves you or hates you. Either way, a thank you note/letter/email probably won’t make a bit of difference.

It’s easy to snicker when you have a job. However, you might keep in mind that in the current job market, it’s not just college grads that may be “over-eager” to land a job.

Yep. In the 3 days it takes for your thank you note to get to me I could make the final decision and offer to someone who emailed her thank you. And no, I’m not gonna twiddle my thumbs for 3 days before making the offer just in case someone decided to snail mail me a thank you.

I’ll have to see what my budget can bear. :wink:

Um, library cataloger, actually. :smiley:

Same here. I’d say about half the candidates send me a thank you (I am usually the interview organizer) but it makes no difference.
There is only one case where it might help - if you think of something in your background which would be useful to the company and which didn’t come out. This is from the perspective of how the candidate can help the company, not blowing his or her own horn. Never seen one of these.

For us HR can never say yes but they can say no by enforcing arcane rules. A follow up is good because with the present work overload those not getting a job may or may not hear.

For me, we have a hard enough time finding good candidates for our very specialized openings that I know if I’m going to start an offer by the end of the day, and often before, and sometimes spend my last interview slot selling the candidate.

Oh, and for our jobs anyone sending a snail mail thank you must have wandered in from the wrong century. It is not likely to help.

A follow-up by letter or email is good practice here in the U.K. It’s considered polite, and while the previous comments about immediate decisions are true, you never know if their first choice will reject the offer and then you want them to turn to you.

Well, since the last thing the interviewer has always asked me is “Do you have any questions?” and one of my stock answer-questions is “What kind of a time-frame are you expecting for the final hiring decision?”, I suppose I could see my way clear to not bothering with a snail-mail if I know they’ll be making a job offer the following morning.

Can’t remember the last time I interviewed for anything where the expectation was to hire that quickly, though.

I’m terribly happy, though, that my current job is safe, because I never want to be I the position of looking for work again.

And I will never accept the premise that an email is ever going to be an actual socially-expected thing.

A letter seems incredibly old-fashioned and would actually concern me that maybe the candidate was not technologically savvy. When I was hired for my job, my boss primarily looked for people with specific education. Eventually I had to convince him that who he needed to hire were people who were comfortable with computers. I can teach the job, but I can’t even get started on that if the new hire doesn’t know how to use Office or isn’t comfortable with email in general.