IOC strips gold medal from US 2000 Olympic Team

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/news;_ylt=Avnc3JnHwkMak2au68IfRBSVTZd4?slug=ap-ioc-usmedals&prov=ap&type=lgns

My question: is there any statute of limitations on this sort of thing? If a 110 year old guy said he tripped someone in the 1916 Olympics will they demand the medals back from the grandchildren of the participants?

I’ve seen this sort of thing happen before, most notably a Canadian synchronized swimmer who was denied a medal because a judge misentered a score, and she flogged the system for YEARS before justice was finally served. I think the cold, hard truth is that the IOC can do whatever the damn hell it wants. It certainly would explain why America seems to get hit far harder than any other country in the world.

As I mentioned before, this is something that every Olympian has to accept from day one. Expecting anything resembling a fair contest is utter lunacy.

Actually the story says:

It’s just that 8 years is a really long time.

Only two Olympiads.

Well, they can edit a news story online and answer my OP. When I posted, the article didn’t say that.

No, there is no statute of limitations. If at any time it is discovered that one of the medalists was cheating, even after his or her death, then his or her performance is normally stricken from the record and the people below him or her move up in the rankings.

Ed

is that really true? could you provide a cite for that?

Then please explain the quote in the article about an 8-year statute of limitations? And can you provide an example of some case where such a striking occurred more than 8 years after the medal was awarded?

Hmm, I guess I was mistaken.

Ed

I could try - but the first thing that came to mind for me was the 1972 basketball controversy - and that mess happened contemporaneously and in plain sight.

There were no Olympics in 1916.

The East German swimming teams should have their medals returned. It was programmed steroids and drug abuse.

I’m always a tad bemused when they “demand” return of the medals. I wonder how often the athlete involved says “Screw you, I’m keeping it!” Or is the demand a wholly “symbolic” part of stripping them of their official recognition.

I would think that once awarded a medal/trophy becomes the property of the recipient. Unsure what rights to that property the awarder might retain.