iPhone questions

That’s a non-starter. I don’t know how many gmail accounts I have, and I can’t get into any of them. Gmail won’t send password resets to any email I have access to, and if I try to set up a new account it relates it to one of the bad ones. Plus, when I did try gmail a few years go, it was very cumbersome compared to my Earthlink account. Until gmail accepts that I want a fresh start, I’m don’t want anything to do with them.

In any case… Let’s take one problem at a time.

I want to email a photo to my real email address. How do I do that?

What I do is use Photos as my photo manager. Plus your iPhone into the. MacBook via USB, start Photos, and your iPhone should appear on the left column. Select it and you’ll get an option to download photos. Your photos then “live” in the Photos app. You don’t really need to get them on your desktop. If your really want to do that you can “export” photos from Photos in whatever format you choose.

Yeah, iPhotos is how I get pictures from my DSLR to my computer. But I don’t want things to ‘live’ there. I want them to be in their folders on the hard drive. (They only stay on the desktop until I move them into their files.) If I want to share them, then I can upload them to imjur or facebook or email them.

But right now, I want to focus on how to email myself from my phone.

Step 1: you must have at least one active e-mail account on your iPhone. Go into settings>mail>accounts and add an account. If you can’t get your “real” email address to work just create a new Gmail account or whatever.

1. Once you’ve got a working e-mail account you can either start an emai message and insert a photo from photo library or go into the photo library and select share and then email.

I don’t know what it means to “relate” a new account to an old one. It shouldn’t be a problem to create a new one from scratch. You just have to use a unique name.

But there are plenty of webmail services – Outlook, Yahoo — you can’t make anything work?

But really there’s no reason why you can’t get your EarthLink account on there. What happens when you go to settings>mail>accounts and try to add it?

Trying a third time.

This time I’m on a page with two tabs: IMAP and POP. There are three sections on the IMAP tab. The first has my name, my email address, and ‘Description’, which is ‘My Email Account’. (Yeah, really imaginative, but being Apple I didn’t think it would be this complicated.)

The second section is the incoming mail server and has Host Name. What’s that? They have ‘mail.example.com’. Where do I find my host name? It has User Name. Is that something I make up (i.e., it’s the same as ‘Name’ in the first section? Or is it something else? The password has to be my Earthlink password.

The third part is for the outgoing mail server. It asks for Host Name, and gives the example ‘smtp.example.com’ There is an optional user name and an optional password.

Did you get the row of check marks showing that the email account has been successfully added?

Do you have this account set up on your Mac?
If so, get all that information from Mail->Preferences->Accounts

Twenty minutes later, I get the code. I enter the code the computer is asking for. It says ‘Your request could not be completed at this time.’ I click OK, and it takes me back to where it asks for my password… :rolleyes:

If you’ve already entered your EarthLink.com address on the previous screen you shouldn’t have to figure this out for yourself. It should know how to connect to EarthLink.

User name is the user ID you use to sign into EarthLink. For example, If I’m I’m setting up MYNAME@GMAIL.COM, then the user name is MYNAME. If I’m setting up MYNAME@HOTMAIL.COM, then the user name is the entire e-mail address.

Yes.

Again this shouldn’t be something you have to figure out yourself.

But if your email address is MYNAME@EARTHLINK.COM, then it’s very likely that the servers are MAIL.EARTHLINK.COM and STMP.EARTHLINK.COM.

I’m curious why you have a choice between IMAP and POP. My phone doesn’t make me choose. What model iPhone do you have?

You’d think that the phone would know my Virgin Mobile email address, and then if I wanted to email something it would use that. (And then I’d know what it is too! :stuck_out_tongue: )

Anyway, I opened Mail on my computer and found that the outgoing mail server is popd.ix.netcom.com, so I entered that. (I used stmp.ix.netcom.com for outgoing.) The phone says 'The IMAP server “popd.ix.netcom.com” is not responding. Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in the “Incoming Mail Server” field.

It’s a 6S.

Is this trying IMAP or POP? And what happens if you do the other one?

Same as mine. Weird.

Here’s Earthlink’s actual servers:
https://support.earthlink.net/articles/email/earthlink-email-faq.php

Use these.

Sounds like a visit to the Genius Bar at an Apple Store is needed - with both Mac & iPhone. Make an appt online.

Or visit your cell provider.

That was IMAP. I tried filling in POP. After verifying for about 10 minutes, I got a screen that says ‘No mail’. That’s progress! So I went to Camera and attempted to send the photo. This time it opened an email, I was able to choose my Contact name, and it made the ‘whoosh!’ sound indicating the mail had been sent. I’m waiting to see if it comes through.

In the meantime, I’ve gone out and retrieved the damned cord.

That thought occurred to me. I have some time off coming in a couple of weeks, and I thought I’d walk into the local Mac dealer. (I don’t know if there’s a Genius Bar in town – Bellingham, WA in this case.)

ETA: After getting the code for iCloud and entering it half an hour ago, and then entering my password, the circle thing is still going around. I guess I’ll have to take the computer in anyway to see if they can sort iCloud out.