iPhone Safari keeps changing UK web addresses to USA.

I keep trying to go to www.pret.co.uk on my iPhone here in the United States , even entering the web address by typing it out. It always redirects me to the USA Pret.com website

I’ve tried the same thing for Canada. Www.Wendys.ca takes me to the USA Wendys.com

There’s got to be a way for me to access these websites like I can easily do from a desktop computer.

It’s not iOS. Looks like Pret A Manger’s site is performing a location detect and routing you to the regionally correct site. At the upper left there’s a manual location select you can use. Most sites with regional variations have a similar such menus…

Yup. I can confirm it’s the websites’ doings, not the phone’s. It does the same thing on my Android.

The question is why do companies do this??? I mean if I go through all the trouble to type out .co.uk instead of .com, it’s a pretty safe bet that I knew what I was doing, and I don’t like my choices being overriden by some blind bit of code. It really makes using proxy servers a pain sometimes. Also geo IP location can be wrong for any number of reasons.

I likewise get the that on the Pret A Manger site, and I’m on desktop.

However, on the Wendy’s site, I am being taken to the Canadian site. It is redirecting, but that redirect is to https://www.wendys.com/en-ca. En-ca means “English language for Canada.”

If you do want a link directly to the Pret A Manger’s UK site, try this: http://www.pret.co.uk/en-gb . (Guess what en-gb means.) It appears to work for me.

Because it’s already a part of their code for the .com domain, where you probably do want a redirect, so you can hand out the same domain name in any country. And it’s simpler just to duplicate the code on every server.

You assume that any of these are different sites. In the case of Wendys and Pret the various sites cited are apparently hosted on different machines (although it is hard to really tell) but there is no reason that the various URLs can’t’t all resolve to the same server instance. Big companies will have an arbitrarily complicated server setup - which they may or may not host themselves. But under it all, the URLs are just text strings that are routed to a machine by the bit between the : and the first /. You can alias any number of addresses to the same iP address, it is up to you how you set this up (you only have to tell the top level name resolvers where your particular domain names will be resolved from.) Once a request arrives at a server, it is up to the server itself how it interprets that requests it gets.

I have aslo noticed the habit that mobile “friendly” sites have of making life hard for the user - simplifying content and refusing to go where you tell them too. I suspect a lot may come down to a commoditsing of how mobile sites are set up and managed using a small number of server engines, and a lot of common ideas about what he “right” thing to do is.