Iran seems to be getting a little ballsy with some of the US fleet.

First they fired a missile near a US warship.

*A U.S. aircraft carrier came within about 1,500 yards of an Iranian rocket while operating in the Strait of Hormuz, a Pentagon official told CNN.

While transiting the strait that sits at the mouth of the Persian Gulf, the USS Harry S. Truman had the encounter while the Iranian Revolutionary Guards were conducting a live-fire exercise in the area on Saturday, according to Cmdr. Kyle Raines, a U.S. Central Command spokesman.*

Now they overfly a US warship with a drone.

*A Navy helicopter launched from the Truman then determined that the unmanned aerial vehicle wasn’t weaponized.

“Because the UAV was unarmed and posed no risk to the carrier’s flight operations (since it wasn’t flying at the time), we determined that … the Iranian UAV’s actions posed no danger to the ship,” Stephens said in his statement. “It was however, abnormal and unprofessional.”*

In both cases the US warship was a nuclear carrier.

They really seem intent on pushing the limit of restraint here. Not exactly a wise thing on their part.

I am very surprised.

“Pardon me for asking, Supreme Leader Khamenei, but what good are snub drones going to be against that?

Iran is playing the geopolitical version of “I’m not touching you. I’m not touching you. I’m not touching you.” With a heaping serving of “Here’s the line, you can’t cross it, everything on this side is mine.”

Whatever tingles their teensy tiny balls. :rolleyes:

Meh. The US & USSR used to play a higher tension version of those games all the time and nobody paid it too much mind. Iran’s engaged in some pretty dodgy politics in the past, but it seems to me they’ve been reasonably decent for a non-ally. Once they got rid of Ahmadinejad.

It’s all fun and games until someone gets an eye put out…

The Russkies still like to play chicken.

Compared to that, overflying a carrier with an unarmed camera drone is bush league.

As best I can tell, neither the Hormuz Strait nor the Black Sea are within U.S. territory. Yet we feel we should complain when the countries who do border those areas perform military actions that make our military feel unwelcome. World’s policeman, indeed.

By the traditional international rules of seamanship and aerial operations, Iran and Russia were being rather jerkish.

And since the portions of the Strait of Hormuz and the Black Sea that the incidents occurred in aren’t within Iranian or Russian territory either, unprovokedly jerkish.

See also “I’m not touching you, I’m not touching you…”

Yet they are being careful to warn US ships out of their exercise areas now.

Certain activities, like firing missiles in the vicinity of/at a carrier can be considered an act of war. Protecting US capital assets has nothing to do with “Worlds policemen” when transiting international waters or operating in an area with the permission of the host country.

Then it’s a new game: find the eye!

Let’s hope that during this latest round of dick-waving that no-one accidentally shoots down a civilian airliner with 290 people aboard.

Good point.