Iraqi freedom???

http://www.vegsource.com/articles2/iraq_seeds.htm

This seems ‘both immoral and unacceptable’ to me, too. Surely this is another example of the sort of ‘non-freedom’ that the USA has brought to Iraq? How can this possibly be legal?

I’m not sure what to make of this. There isn’t enough information available. Certainly, there were already patents; it’s just that they are now enforceable. These patents would also only apply to seeds that included someone’s intellectual property, and not all seeds. It sounds preposterous on the surface because the report’s authors have an agenda – in reality there is not enough factual information to determine if the farmers are being treated unfairly or not.

This should only come as surprise to those that haven’t been made aware of the fact that Iraq was going to be the testing ground for the neocon Free Market Experiment right from the start. It’s a part of the occupation that has, sadly, gotten very little mainstream press, but it’s an inescapable fact.

Naomi Klein is one of the few journos that has tackled the topic head-on. The following article by her, is an in-depth looks at some of the economic reforms implemented by the US viceroy, Paul Bremer, prior to his departure:

**Baghdad Year Zero – Pillaging Iraq in pursuit of a neocon utopia**

Which is now blowing-up in their collective faces. Much more at source.

For the OP: Here’s a lenghty and fully sourced discussion on the topic at hand:

Iraq law Requires Seed Licenses

The claims made in the OP’s link appear to be false. The claim is that saving seeds is now illegal in Iraq. This is clearly not the case. Order 81 states that if the seed is a patented variety, you must have permission of the holder of the registration of that variety.

Therefore, the claim is specifically false in stating that “saving seeds is illegal.” It obviously is not, and one would have to suspect that most Iraqi farmers are not using designer, genetically engineered seeds. The claim is also deliberately deceptie in the sense that it implies saving seeds is now a crime, which is not true at all; it would be a matter for a civil court (Article 78.)

What RickJay said. FTR here’s the websites of the two groups that published the study:
GRAIN
Focus on the Global South
They both appear to have an axe to grind. I’m willing to bet that Iraqi farmers can save their unpatented non-GM seeds as they’ve always been able to. Anyone willing to take this bet?

Besides, per the Baghdad Year Zero link that RedFury provided, the laws the CPA passed don’t seem to have any legal standing right now:

RJ: * one would have to suspect that most Iraqi farmers are not using designer, genetically engineered seeds. *

Mojo: * I’m willing to bet that Iraqi farmers can save their unpatented non-GM seeds as they’ve always been able to.*

But did you read the article that RedFury linked to?

In other words, patented seeds apparently are being introduced into Iraq under the reconstruction efforts, but with a Trojan Horse in the form of agricultural patents. “Here’s some free seed to rescue your crops and help rebuild your country! Surprise—it’s patented and you have to pay us if you want to keep using it!”

I could see how this might well be putting some farmers between a rock and a hard place, if they lost their original crop from which they would have saved native, non-patented seeds, and now have no alternative to the pay-per-sow commercial seeds.

As RTF points out, though, these laws may not actually stick, so we’ll have to see.