Iraqi Voter Turnout

We won’t know the answer for awhile but the best source I have found so far on this question is this.

As noted in parallel thread: watching CNN, they have just expressed first skepticism as to the numbers, suggesting inflation on the part of the CPA.

And that’s the problem: none of us have a non-partisan, objectively reliable source of information.

By any chance, did they go into the basis of their skepticism on CNN? The hotel I’m at doesn’t seem to have CNN or even Fox on its list of channels.

-XT

A fleeting reference to the Arabic press, and something about the CPA backing down from previous statements. You know what I know: diddly squat.

Here’s what they say on their web site.

So, its still unclear at this point. Probably because in some places (especially Sunni strongholds like Tikrit) there was a low vote count, while in others it was heavy. It would be difficult to estimate with that situation. Just have to wait to count how many votes were cast.

I thought this was interesting:

Iraqis vote amid violence
Polls close on country’s first free vote in a half-century
Sunday, January 30, 2005 Posted: 11:04 AM EST (1604 GMT)

Admirable ‘freedom fighters’ here…tossing grenades at civilians based on the ink on their fingers, or using suicide bombers attacking those waiting in line. Great guys here! I know, I know…they are fighting for their freedom and all, bravely killing civilians who were obviously evil because they wanted to vote. Doesn’t appear that there was as much violence as originally feared, though.

-XT

God, what a mess. I didn’t see all that other crap in there. I don’t suppose a mod could remove all the stuff from “I thought this was interesting:” to the quoted section? I’d appreciate it.

-XT

I think this says a lot about your political reflexes, rjung. Fie on all that boring Constitution stuff–just get straight to choosing a Maximum Leader for Life!

Men have shed blood for the right to that “long, tedious, boring stuff” that goes along with democracy and the rule of law. In THIS country, if nowhere else. You strike me as ungrateful.

A ctrl-V thread? :smiley:

Regardless of how any of us feel, I think we should take heed of this.

Who needs to bother wanting democracy in Iraq to fail to be able to say ‘I told you say’ to Bliar and Bush? There’s already plenty of reasons to do that.

Besides, I’m confident that when a democratic, self-assured and united Iraq finally does emerge from the maelstrom that the bungling invasion and occupation has plunged the country into, they will democratically tell Bush and the Neo-cons where they can stick their vision of the country’s future :smiley:

So, then, we can take it that you hate fluffy kittens and favor thrusting cute puppies into blenders? As well as hating Freedom and Liberty?

Yep, but guess what? Those people you’re against brought that very government, and all the democratic institutions into place. Kinda ironic, isn’t it? :slight_smile:

No good deed goes unpunished. :slight_smile:

Are those peskee eye-rabs not ready for deemockracy?

Not really ironic no. Why would it be?

Erm, because you oppose president Bush for what he’s done in Iraq, yet is creating the conditions in which Arab people can actually voice their opinions within a government.

Oh that kind of irony. Like if your against little old ladies being mugged on the street, but for small children not dying of a hunger, and someone robs a little old lady to feed his starving children. That kind of irony.

I guess President Bush wants all that oil owned by the Iraqis to himself and the Zionists. :slight_smile:

Radio Free Europe dopes on what the election commision said shortly before poll closing: Voter Turnout Strong In Nearly All Iraqi Provinces

There’s some very strange shit going on here, and I don’t pretend to understand. I very well might understand, if I had any objective information that I could trust, but when everybody has an agenda…

First off, does it strike anyone else that it seems as though the “anti-election” insurgency kind of backed off? Like they didn’t put out a full court press? In a situation like this, anything we don’t understand is a threat. Perhaps they decided that the election wasn’t where they wanted to bet their chips. Or, perhaps more likely, one faction of the insurgency, that associated with muslim fanaticism, did proceed with thier full strength, but that strength is relatively small. Which would imply a more powerful insurgency that is not opposed to democracy as such on religious/cultural grounds, like Al Zarqawi is. Would this mean a move to outflank Al Zarqawis faction from a more secular faction? Could this be why the Iraqis are suddenly so confident that they will get Al Zarqawi very soon?

And is that good news, bad news, or God only knows?