Iron Chef: The Battle Continues

Anybody who ever figures out a way to grow truffles commercially will be so damn rich she’ll have to stay up nights counting her money.

ooooh, truffle oil in mashed potatoes… talk about your comfort food…

Java, I knew there was a reason I had the hots for you.

I’ve had truffle oil and it’s good, but I wanna try the real thing. Just once. And I’ve heard that black truffles are actually better tasting than white truffles, but white truffles are rarer.

<sigh>

Someday…
Fenris

The SO and I have discussed this. Of course, we know absolutely nothing about agriculture or growing food… but we can learn, can’t we?

Then again, we’ll be just like the guy that figured out how to grow wasabi commercially.

OK, although I"ve been unable to convince Snookie to sign up, he was most interested in this battle. HEre, w/his permsission, are what I can read of his comments: (he’s not voting since he’s not an official judge, but since the IC’s have put so much effort into this, I thought they’d appreciate having more vs. less comments)

Chef Troy:
Consumme: good. He’d just had some recently couldnt’ remember the term, looked it up and was most interested in this. Puffed pastry item, “anything is better in Puff Pastry” this is also good. The Fajitas, yea, OK, I guess (I detect a wanning interest from him, tho, guess he wanted some meat in his vegetarian dish) Risotto, sounds yummy. The Candy? ummmmm, maybe, oh, with merangue?? then NO thanks.
** Fenris**, Mu Shu - Ok but points off for cutting it open I’ll find out what’s in there myself, but it sounds good. Cutting open the food only allows it to cool faster. Omelet, well, ok, but eggs just arent’ all that ‘special’ to me. Beef Wellington -is there anything better than Beef Wellington? I doubt it. this one wins it for you though. More candied mushrooms? no thanks.

and in a final note, please remember :

“no white truffles after labor day”

:slight_smile: (smilie added by me)

my comments will follow, along with scores to Java

OK, my scores have been sent, too late to attempt to bribe, tho’ I do note the Chefs mentioning ‘this isn’t supposed to be a meal…’

OK. Chef Troy - The Ragout in puff pastry sounds divine, and I disagree w/Snookie re: the fajitas - they’re just fine with the meaty portabellos. THe consumme, I could go for that, tho’ my personal preference is for hearty soups, I suspect I’d like it just fine. I am troubled, however by your mushroom usage overall. While you correctly select the portabellos for the fajita (an easy choice tho), and the porcini is absoloutely the correct choice for the creamy Risotto, you select the mundane button’s for the base of your gravy? you select ‘variety of wild mushrooms’ for the consommee and puff pastry? The latter makes me think you weren’t that familiar with the varieties of mushrooms - in any event, I can do with one ‘variety’ but to have two makes me feel you’ve failed to adequately showcase the different textures and tastes available.

Now, please hold out your hand.

SMACK that’s for what you did to the morels. My most favoritest of all mushrooms (that I can afford anyhow) and instead of headlining the taste, you’re covering it with (brrr) sugar???

However, to end on a posative note,I would love at least 3 of these dishes, be ok with two. (we won’t discuss the sin again)

Fenris You say you’re not a mushroom fan? well, you seemed to have done some studying in the meantime.

I have zero problem (as opposed to Snookie) re the MuShu’s , you finally found the right thing to use that hoison sauce with (the portabellos should stand up nicely to that), and the Fritatta wow! Again, I disagree w/Snookie about the addition of an egg dish. It’s the perfect holder if you will for the truffels. ummm and I appreciate, too, the variation of method of preparation.
And the Beef Wellington, was simply inspired, yet again, a different method of preparation of mushroom, and you correctly choose the selection of mushrooms for the gravy.

The dessert? absolutely - given the choices available, the most mundane of the bunch is selected for ‘let’s play hide the mushroom’. (that’s a compliment).

3 of the dishes would make me swoon (but then I’m a sucker for mushrooms), and I’d be willing to try the fourth. ’

LIke I said, my scores are in.

oopps forgot my obligatory giggling. Please insert these where most appropriate:

Giggle giggle giggle giggle titter titter giggle giggle giggle.

thank you.

Not meringue, A meringue. this isn’t the soft, sticky glop on a lemon pie in a diner somewhere. It’s light and crisp - sort of like a cookie.

Ok, just got a ruling from Snookiedom - the pie variety is ‘a sin’ if you want to bake it into a sort of cookie, I guess I could stomach it. He noted that it was baked, but so is pie (I’m just quoting him, not defending him. This wasn’t MY problem w/the dish…)

Good, that means I can respond to your points without fear of offending.

Yes, I DID select button mushrooms for the gravy. Why? it’s for POT ROAST. Simplicity rules such dishes. I am not an airy-fairy nouvelle artiste. Innovation is important to me but it should have a purpose. Wild mushrooms simply aren’t appropriate here… it would be like putting a frilly silk shirt on the old farmer in “American Gothic.”

First of all, you better believe I’m familiar with these mushrooms. I know intimately what their individual qualities are - that’s why I selected specific ones for dishes where those qualities are intrinsic to the dish. As for the others, I think my choices here are justified. On the one hand, we have the consommé. In this dish the mushrooms perfume and transform the broth in which they give up their souls - but the mushrooms themselves are gone. I deliberately opted for a mix of mushrooms to give greater depth and range to the flavors imparted to the broth.
The variety of mushrooms used in the ragout also are important, albeit for a completely different reason. Here we have a dish in which the textures of the mushrooms provide an important counterpoint to the flakiness of the pastry. More different varieties = more contrasting textures (not to mention more visual appeal). Also, let’s face it - even mushroom fans don’t necessarily like ALL mushrooms. I myself don’t like shiitake mushrooms. A dish that featured only shiitakes is not likely to engage my interest. Just as a variety of grapes are blended to make a fine Burgundy - but the precise mix is up to the individual vineyard - using a variety of wild mushrooms allows the home chef to adjust the mix to his or her personal taste. I refuse to admit there’s anything wrong with that.

You’re entitled to your opinion but I disagree.

Sheesh, you judges are really something. I create a delightful dessert in the lobster battle and I am dressed down for not replacing it with some inedible mess that has lobster meat in it. This time around I rack my brain for a dessert that legitimately includes the theme ingredient and I get dressed down again. Just try the freaking things - you might be surprised.

I complemented you on your lobster dessert and wasn’t bothered by the lack of lobster in it.

I assumed that you DID know about the different varieties, was disappointed that you didn’t choose to showcase individual ones differently - I agree about the shittake by the way (tho’ they’re still preferable to the ‘straw’ ones yech). However, for those like Juniper, who simply think ‘mushrooms, yech, I dislike mushrooms’ and then realizes that she doesn’t care for the two she’s tried, the ‘variety’ approach will not help. She’ll try the dish, taste the shiitake, and think yech, see, I was right, w/o realizing that those other tantilzing flavors were in fact OTHER mushrooms.

and, yes the pot roast is pedestrian. But this competition is to showcase the 'shrooms - so then why pick the pot roast in the first place if you think the roast will require a ‘simple’ sauce? you had all those varieties to play with and dress up for dinner, then why pick a dish that begs for t-shirt and jeans? eh???
disagree if you will. I can take it. I thought some of your dishes were grand sounding, all the same (sheesh, how like an Iron Chef to focus on the negative comments). ANd I’ll stand by my morels, too. :smiley:

I don’t want to get into a big fight here, and I DO respect your opinion as a judge.

This remark is kind of snobbish, though. Simple it unquestionably is, although no one who’s ever eaten my pot roast would ever call it “pedestrian.” The point on which we clearly disagree is whether “simple” is necessarily inferior to “fancy.” I say no.

Why use the button mushrooms? They’re a legitimate part of the mycological continuum. If the Chairperson didn’t think they deserve to be used, I’m sure she wouldn’t have included them.

ehhh…

This snapping continues, I’m going to start lobbing yellow bell peppers at the two of you.

Now, bow and make nice.

Chef Troy:

Consomme - fine, simple, rich.

Ragout - Again, simple and good. I am feeling slightly disapointed though. I personally am looking for something a little more novel in these contests, and feel the simpler dishes should serve as a grounding influence. Two in a row leaves me a little bored, or highly anticipative. We’ll see which in a moment.

Pot roast - At first glance, I found myself agreeing with Wring’s observations. Again, I’m seeing nothing revolutionary, nothing new or exciting. However, I can take no issue with such a perfect dish. I think I see what you are going for. It’s as if we’re seeing archetypal mushroom uses, basic blendings of flavors with the novelness in their purity.

Fajitas- Interesting. I like this.

Risotto- I find this dish somewhat misplaced in the menu IMO, as it seems to clash with the fajitas we just tasted.

Morels- This is good. The meringue is an excellent solution to the problem of a mushroom based dessert.

Fenris:
Mu Shu - excellent, but I feel this doesn’t highlight the taste of the mushrooms quite as much as it should.

Fritatta - Oh my God! Give me more.

Wellington - excellent. Comparing this to Troy’s roast is a difficult task indeed. I give equal marks for taste, you the nod for refinement and Troy the nod for purity and subtlety.

Well at least it’s not Fish Sperm? - True. I just don’t think this works though.

Scores sent momentarily.

eh hem. Cheffie gets grumpy when he stays up past his bedtime.

bows gomen nasai.

Iron Chef

Consomme: It’s soup. I asked that you not prepare soup. I suspect it would be quite good actually, but we do not approve.

Ragout in Pastry Shells: Oh man, this would be good. The butter. The Wine. The mushrooms. Just fantastic. I bet these are rich.

Pot Roast: Depends on the gravy. You never want your main course to depend on the gravy.

Portobello Fajitas: Excellent. Anything anyone can do to push the boundaries of TexMex should be encouraged. The mushroom makes for the perfect beef substitute. I’d be curious to see how the mushrooms tasted with the guacamole. I crave vegetarian food with some weight to it. I like the idea, and the presentation.

Risotto: I learned a new word. Ramekin. I like learning new words. I also like this.

Candied Morels: Very well done. Not too overpowering. Subtle.

Challenger Fenris
Mini Mu: To me, it is as if you were a god. Excellent.

Truffle Fritatta: I’ve had a heck of a time coming up with relevant comments for this. I just keep thinking that I wanted something to stand in opposition to the…eggy nature of this. I can’t eat omelettes without toast, and I think I’d need something here. Strictly a personal opinion.

Beef Wellington: You are ever such a scamp. I love BW. Great way to present the mushrooms.

Dessert: A fitting end. You don’t back away from the idea of sweetness in dessert, but you make excellent use of mushrooms as a platform.
I’ve sent my scores.

Don’t think of it as soup. Think of it as a warm, comforting, fortifying beverage. After all, it doesn’t have any chunks or anything, and you drink it from a demitasse espresso cup rather than spooning it out of a bowl.

You’re right.

I wanted toast, but…

What I wanted was just plain old soft-crust white or wheat toast that’s been buttered, so the top is all soggy with melted butter but the bottom is still crispy (you know…Diner toast) but I thought that much butter would be overpowering for this dish. Then I thought about “buttering” the toast with truffle-oil and decided that you can have too much of a good thing…Over-trufflization would become apparent. Mixing the butter and truffle-oil…I dunno. Just didn’t sound right.

I won’t even contemplate dry toast.

In retrospect, perhaps a toasted bagel with just a tiny bit of butter (bagels being better than toast when served mostly dry) would have worked.

Fenris

Chef Troy:

Mushroom Consomme: Like many others I prefer a hearty soup to broths like this but I cannot deny this sounds rich and flavorful. A fine start to your tribute to mushrooms.

Mushroom Ragout in Puff Pastry: As another judge said anything in puff pastry is a good thing. The ragout sounds like a hearty filling to contrast with the flaky pastry. Once more, a tasty tidbit.

Pot Roast with Mushroom Gravy: I was very pleased to see this traditional dish included. It brings to mind warm evenings around the family dinner table. A simple dish done with care. Excellent.

Portobello Fajitas: I see now why you wanred us this not to considered a meal. Had this dish been left out however, the rest sounds like it would be a workable meal. That aside, this happens to be one of my favorite vegatarian meals and sounds delicious.

Porcini and Truffle Risotto: I have yet to meet a risotto I didn’t like and this sounds like no exception.

Candied Morels: Well I suppose coating a mushroom in sugar is really the only way to make one a dessert. I have always enjoyed meats with sweet sauces and suppose a meaty mushroom could work that way. Still I wonder. Full marks for originality and presentation though.

Fenris:

Mushroom Mini Mu Shu: Well I feel any reason to use hoisin sauce is a good one myself and you can’t go wrong stir frying in garlic and ginger. A nice mixture of textures and flavors even if you did include napa cabbage. A good start.

Truffle Fritata: This sounds excellent, a mushroom omelette ascended to the level of Iron Chef. Well done!

Beef Wellington: Again a trdational meal of meat and mushroom, and incidently the only way I can enjoy foix gras. Anyone that can actually wrap meat in pastry successfully has my respect. A fine choice for main course.

Orange Mushroom Flambe: As with the other mushroom dessert, full marks for originality. I think I’ll drink my Grand Marnier and call it a meal.
Scores on their way to the Chairman. Good job both of you!

A. haven’t been back to my computer since the earlier vollies, so did not see Chair Java’s comments til now.

B. Please accept my apologies - I do not like sniping, sorry it came off as same.

Ya know, I DID say several really nice things, too.

::grabbing the remaining morels and heading for the hills::

:wink:

I don’t think your remarks came off as SDMB sniping, just the usual cutting remarks Iron Chef judges are famous for. Don’t worry about it - I know there was no rancor on either side.

And I’M sorry if I sounded defensive. I responded purely to explain my reasons for including the things I did, which Iron Chefs are known to do on occasion.

Look! On time! See? On time! I still don’t know what mushrooms taste like, except that portabellos are supposed to be “meaty,” morels are “good” and button mushrooms “make me wish I were dead.” I’ll play this by ear.

Chef Troy
Mushroom Consomme
I’m a lover of hearty soups, but in this case I thank you for easing me into the mushroom battle by introducing me to the flavors and texures seperately. It sounds like there’s a lot of flavor in this, which I like to see in a consomme. (Confidential to Hugh Jass re: soup–let it go, man.)

Mushroom Ragout in Puff PastrySounds rich. I’ve been on a diet for months; I approve of rich. I’ll disagree with Syclla on the simplicity of this dish following the consomme. To me, it feels like we’re building up to something.

Pot Roast with Mushroom Gravy
Pot roast is kind of personal. In my world, if it’s not made exactly the way my mom does it, it’s just no good. This is not the way my mom does it. I’ll add my voice to Hugh’s in saying that the success of a large dish like this should not hang on the success of the sauce. Even if I liked this a lot, I’d still have to deduct points because I don’t belive this adequately articulates the theme.

Portobello Fajitas
I’d try this again. Fajutas are good pretty much any way.

Porcini and Truffle Risotto
Truffles are good. I approve of truffles. I don’t know what I think of the rest of it. It’s good, I suppose, but I’m not blown away. I might like it better coming after the pot roast rather than the Tex Mex stuff.

Candied Morels
::whimper:: Well, at least it has merengues. I love those. And I’ll eat damn near anything if it’s candied. This dish doesn’t repulse me or anything, but I’m so apprehensive about the concept that I’m having trouble enjoying it. Extra points on the presentation, btw. Lovely!

Fenris
Mushroom Mini Mu Shu
Mmmmm…ginger and garlic. A man after my own heart, even if he does come brandishing mushrooms. Lots of flavor going on here. Since I’m new to the ingredient, I’ll take your word for it that the mushrooms are able to make their presence known through all that.

Truffle Fritata
Again, I like truffles. And this sounds like an excellent way to work them into a basic…wait, how much truffle is in this? (::rereads recipe::slight_smile:

::THUD::

Beef Wellington
First truffle and now foie gras? Whooo! After that ::thud::, I traveled down a long tunnel paved lined with All Clad toward a bright oven light and found myself in Iron Chef heaven! This dish is just layers upon layers of goodness.

Dessert
The mushrooms, I assume, are “earthy.” All that orange is nice and sweet. I don’t know how I feel about this contrast; it could go either way. Extra points for use of fire though! Yeah, fire!

Scores in the mail.