[QUOTE=constanze]
Why is it so important if somebody has visited the US or not before being qualified to talk about the culture and politics? This isn’t, after all, about individual Americans being nice chap (while voting for a president who started a war) or clueless idiots as every country has them. It’s about the general population, the general culture.
And again, does talking on the Internet with many Americans, reading their opinions on key topics, not count as knowing Americans? Do I have to meet them face to face? Would you consider me qualified if I had been to America?
[/QUOTE]
Because you can’t get a realistic view of the United States from viewing our media output (Hollywood and CNN), observing our politics, or talking with the slice of our populace that actively chats on the Internet. While most of the US these days uses the Internet to some degree, you’ll find that the most prolific users are younger and a little more left of center (as evidenced by this board).
If I only went by initial impressions of Germany, I would tend to think that your cities are all small villages, you are all so into your culture you tend to wear traditional outfits at the drop of a hat and you all have an obsessive need for organization.
Your cities are large, and dreary, and full of people wearing dark clothing with somber demeanors.
Everyone drinks beer all the dang time.
Also, most folks are blonde, and women have ample bosoms and wide birthing hips.
See? It’s easy to misinterpret things based on the surface stuff you get from the media. The only thing that speaking with a lot of German’s on the Internet would add is that a lot of you are very left of center, and you all hate America/Americans (such as the impression you’re giving here).
However, having hosted foreign exchange students, and having my step-mothers family come from Germany, and working with a german immigrant, I like to think that I’ve gotten a much better grasp of the fact that German’s are pretty much just like us, with a slightly better grasp of history (except WW2) and tend to think more Globally.