Is 2% milk cheaper?

Virtually every fast food joint serves reduced fat milk. I know, because of the nature of these businesses, that it’s not my health that drives them to do it, so. Why? Must be cost, I figure.
Does anyone know for sure? And if so, why isn’t the 2% stuff cheaper in the market? I know, because that’s what I use at home.
Peace,
mangeorge

I don’t know where you shop, but 2% is cheaper than whole milk at the places I buy milk.

The main technique for making the milk lower in fat content is to dilute it with water. So you don’t need to milk as many cows to get the same number of gallons to market. That makes it cheaper.

Raley’s. I check prices to be sure next time I shop.
I thought dairies seperated most of the fat from all milk, then added back to a specifies level. For consistancy, or so I thought. I’ll look.
Peace,
mangeorge

Ummm not quite. You don’t get skim milk by adding water to whole milk. Centrifuges and separators are used to produce milks of varying butterfat content. Although adding water is part of the production process, it is applied before the varying grades are separated.

The cost of a dairy product is usually related to its butterfat content. That’s why premium ice cream is more expensive than inferior alternatives. Whole milk is more expensive than skim milk, although not by much because the fat content differs by only a tiny bit. There are Dairy Compacts throughout the country that interfere with the market, though.

2% is about a dime cheaper per litre than whole milk around here, though the price difference is higher with smaller quantities.

Sure. And then if you go to prison for selling watered milk, you can save a whole lot on rent.

So I guess my assumption is correct.
Some of these places sell ultra pasteurized milk. Gah!
Expiration date: Sometime in the next century, I think. :wink:
Same reason, I’m sure.
BTW, Saltire, I thought the EMP was pretty cool.
Peace,
mangeorge

You notice that only whole milk is labelled ‘Grade A’?

That grade is set by butterfat content - only whole milk qualifies.

And, from discussion with folks who were raised on dairy farms, THEY add water to reduce the fat content to min. level - don’t know what tricks the dairies use.

As far as law - if you tried to pass off low-fat as ‘Grade A’, then, you might be in trouble…

and for oxymoron, “No-Fat Milk” - I don’t WANT to know what is in that stuff.