[QUOTE=Phlosphr]
Valteron - are you close to CT? I’d love ot have you speak at one of our meetings.
[/QUOTE]
Actually, I am not sorry I am in Canada.
I think it is one of the best countries in the world to live in. And the UN survey regularly rates us as the best, second-best or (in bad years) fifth-best country to live in.
But I am sorry I am not near CT. I live in area of our national capital, Ottawa. My home is officially in the Province of Quebec, across the Ottawa River from Ottawa.
I also love America and have visted many parts of it, but never CT, sorry to say. But thanks for the nice compliment. I am going to Key West, Florida for nine days starting tomorrow. I will no doubt attend a couple of AA meetings while I am there.
I have an interesting story about Key West and AA that might help explain to Kalhoun and Evil Joe a little bit about how it works.
Nine months after I joined AA in 1990, I went on vacation in Key West. Now, I worked in a very high-stress job, which is one of the reasons I drank. But with the help of AA, I eventually found that I could calm myself down and handle stress by “letting go” and “living one day at a time” far better than I ever could by shuttting down my neurotic brain with alcohol.
But now I was surrounded by warm winds, palm trees, nothing to do and all day to do it. And I was finding it very difficult.
Now, I don’t know if you know Key West, but there are a number of what they call “nothing heads” there. They are basically bums whose brains have been so fried by alcohol, drugs and who knows what that they seem to have trouble functioning. One guy (who couldn’t have been more than 35) would stand on a corner on the main street taking a step in one direction, stopping, turning around, etc. as if he could not quite get his brain to work. I guess it is easier for these people to survive in a warm climate.
Anyhow, I went to an AA meeting and there was a grubby, kinda dirty young guy who I thought must be a “nothing head”. During the sharing, I said how much trouble I was having being on vacation, compared to the past 9 months of stressful but sober work. It puzzled me.
After the meeting, the “nothing head” comes up to me and to my surprise says “It’s simple. You have 9 months of experience in being sober in a stressful job. You have 2 days of being sober on vacation. In your first year of sobriety, you are going to have to learn to enjoy leisure sober, stress sober, Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, etc. all sober. Your mind has to form new ways of thinking and learn how to enjoy a sober vacation.”
After I closed my mouth that was hanging open in surpise, I thanked him. And that is just what happened. Over 16 sober Christmases, some 30 sober vacations, I have learned how to enjoy myself tremendously. I believe I enjoy life way way MORE than I ever did when I drank. I do not celebrate the birth of Jesus, but I consider it a form of solstice festival. And do I ever have fun! My spouse and I have a tradition of going to a local Sandinavian Spa during the holidays and getting a one-hour Swedish massage and a full afternoon in the saunas and pools. It costs about $100 a person. Or to put it another way, it costs about what I used to pay for a week’s worth of booze!
Putting up with the fact that some of my AA buddies believe in God is a damn small price to pay for the benefits AA has given me.