Is Alice's Restaurant a tradition for your Thanksgiving?

I haven’t listened in years, but my favorite take on that song is “Remembering Alice” on the Arlo Guthrie album “Live in Sydney”. If you have Amazon Prime, you can listen to it for free! I’ll play that one tomorrow.

Tomorrow is going to be too uncertain, since I’m working, so I queued it up today, and yes, I do own a copy.

Happy Thanksgiving from the Group Outlier bench.

Time for your yearly reminder that all you have to do to join the Alice’s Massacree movement is sing it the next time it comes around on the guitar, which in my case is in a little over two and a half hours from now.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

Checking eBay, I find hundreds of LPs of the original Arlo Guthrie recording (album), also CDs, but no singles at any size or speed. I did find a 7" 45 of the New Christy Minstrels with that title (!), but the time was 3:15, so I doubt if they reproduced the narrative part to any degree.

Wikipedia suggests that a (rerecorded?) single was released after the movie came out, but doesn’t specify the size or speed (probably 7" 45):

We just watched the animated video version, followed by the WKRP Turkey Drop episode. Dinner will be an anticlimax.

I hope you didn’t overlook “Planes, Trains & Automobiles”.

Of course I own it. But noon on Thanksgiving is a tradition that can’t be beat. It’s like football on Thanksgiving, part of the yearly routine that never changes even as families lose members or go their separate ways. Like today, for example. My sister is with her in-laws in Texas, my aunts and uncles are doing their thing, and Robin is working so we’re not doing a big turkey feast, we’re probably going to the local truck stop for their Thanksgiving buffet. But even with all that I can still count on Arlo every Thanksgiving at noon. It’s the little things that make days special, otherwise it’s just another day in a life full of them.

I’ll have to squeeze that in. I also want to watch the Bob Newhart Thanksgiving episode. (“Moo goo gai pan!”)

It’s that time of year again, folks-Time to get stuffed, get arrested and get drafted :grin:
I’ll be listening to the original version on KINK 101.p at noon, and the revision at 5pm.
What about y’all?

I’ll be listening as usual, though perhaps not at noon on our local radio station like I usually do.

But, if I do listen at noon, it comes back around on the guitar 73 minutes from now…

Not exactly a tradition, more like a semi-annual event. It was part of that time that divided my life between childhood and all that followed. I’ll listen to it any time.

We have Alexa playing it for us now.

Listening to it right now!
Happy Thanksgiving!

It came around again on the guitar, still makes me smile and sing along.

OMG!

This is my all-time favorite movie of all time!

I watch this entire movie at least three times per year by myself but I won’t watch it on Thanksgiving because no one in my family will watch it with me more than, on average, more than thirty minutes or so.because it’s from a different era and difficult for them to relate to this movie.

I prefer to socialize with everyone at Thanksgiving.instead.

So, I love this movie to no end.

Can’t say I’m familiar with the movie.

The song? Now that’s on repeat, for a couple of days.

Lookin’ forward to when this thread comes back around on the guitar …

I don’t associate it with Thanksgiving, but with long car trips. He’s great for long car trips.

Today’s the day. I had to put it off until this afternoon when it comes back around on the guitar, but I’ll be listening in a bit. After all, it’s a Thanksgiving tradition that can’t be beat.

Same thing, one year later. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I almost forgot! And I’m the OP. Anyway, I have a favorite video version, which can be found here