Is America the only country with a "company store" healthcare system?

Everyone’s debating about healthcare in the US. A lot of countries have socialized health care. Among the ones with private healthcare, is it common for people to get healthcare through employers (excluding people in armed forces and such) rather than individually?

France, Germany, Switzerland and Japan have forms of UHC that involve getting private insurance via your workplace.

In Britain, private cover such as BUPA is quite a common perk in management level jobs.

In Oz, there has been a government push since the last administration to get people into private health care. However, of all the people I know who have it, I only know one who got it through his workplace - and he worked for IBM.

I’m a moderately well-paid professional, and I’d be quite surprised to be offered healthcare as part of an employment package. Can’t speak for management-level though.

In Israel employers are required to cover health insurance, but the actual fund is selected by the employee.

As far as Germany is concerned, the system is much different from the US though: it is not the company that chooses the health insurance provider but the employee, and the insurance is portable between employers. When starting with a new employer, the employee tells the payroll department what statutory insurance scheme he is a member of, and the member reference number, and the employer deducts and forwards the appropriate percentage of salary to the insurance.

Another Aussie checking in. My experience is the same as Aspidistra’s in that it’s very rare to get private health insurance as part of a salary package.

The only times I’ve seen it done is by American companies who come to Australia who probably offer it simply because it’s policy in their US offices or they think it’s a big perk.

I’m always surprised to see it since we’ve got a pretty good public system and private health care is relatively cheap anyway.

Are you sure about Japan? I’ve never heard of such a thing. Are you sure you’re not confusing private insurance (profit-driven businesses) with public insurance (state-run healthcare)?

State-run healthcare is linked to (full-time) employment, but everyone gets the same deal in terms of coverage and it’s pretty comprehensive.

Private insurance might be offered as part of an employment package but I’ve never heard of it.

Not really (as I understand it)… for salaried / hourly employees, the employer is required by law to deduct our Health Care payments from our wages; it’s still you and I who are, ultimately, paying for the insurance though – not the employer.
There’s also no Group Coverage, no different level of payment through different employers, etc… (well, unless you consider paying a flat rate of a different salary as a “different” health-care payment.) This is for the basic, mandatory, coverage.

And any additional coverage (e.g., “Clalit Mushlam” and such) comes out of your own bank account, employer not involved.

Another Australian here, my employer offers private health cover at a corporate rate. Basically it’s just a discount because they can purchase policies in bulk, the entire discounted price is still paid for by the employee though.

Not only management level. I get BUPA cover and I’m certainly not management. I think many big companies offer medical insurance quite a long way down the ladder.

As with many things in Mexico, their universal coverage is complicated. Because everyone I know works or is self-employed, they fall under employee-sponsored or private coverage. There are still lots of complaints that there’s not true, universal coverage here, though.

Here in Quebec, basic health care (all hospital care, no copay and no deductible, most private physician’s care–excluding things like blood tests that you can get free at a hospital) is covered by the province. But my employer provides supplemental insurance that, with both deductible and copay covers things that are not in the basic package, including things like chirpractic, acupuncture, those blood tests mentioned above, etc. The part provided by the employer is taxed as income by the province, but not the federal government.

My understanding, based on a Frontline show I once saw, is that even where the insurance is usually covered through the employer, it is universal. I keep reading that in the US, more and more employers are dropping health insurance and small businesses mostly don’t offer it. And that the insurance companies are, by law, non-profit. Just like mutual life insurance companies were in the US before most of them demutualized.

It only appears to be free. No one is paying for it? :confused:

IME it’s quite common for white-collar jobs, not just management.

My friend in NZ has healthcare through her job.

When she had an ovarian cyst removed, she could’ve waited and gone to the public hospital (about 3 weeks) or pay a small deductible through her insurance Southern Cross and go to a private hospital, in a few days. She chose the latter.

Oh come on. You know what he meant. Keep your thinly-veiled partisan shots out of GQ.

What did he mean? Would you like to speak for him?

Same for Spain, where it is viewed as a sign of cluelesness on the part of the company. “Compensation package includes medical coverage,…” - well, gee, no shit? Are you also offering the right to breathe, dearies?

Work-related injuries and illnesses are treated through “mutuas” (private insurers, linked to the company), but if you’re mid-treatment when you change jobs or leave the old one, your treatment continues as usual; the “mutuas” are paid from SS funds anyway. This is a leftover from how the medical system used to be pre-UHC.

Funny you should say that; a sizable contingent here in the U.S. believes that air pollution can be eradicated by cutting taxes, enacting tort reform, and permitting corporations to sell breathable air across state lines.